• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished reading the entire thread and think it is sad that such sexist attitudes exist as have been discussed here. I think Shell is on the right track with most of her opinions. The troop I have been involved with has never restricted a lone woman leader or parent from participating on a camping event and we have had no major problems. Learning to respect the women present is important for the boys (and apparently for some of the male adult leaders as well). Our current Advancement Chair is a pediatrician who loves to camp. She has been invaluable on our camping events for first aid training as well as her organizational skills. If she had to find another woman to attend with her and couldn't, it would be the troop's loss when she didn't attend. I would leave this unit with its neanderthal attitude.

• 4 months later...

It's now been 6 months and wanted to update everyone on this. Since this happened and the new rule on what defines active we have had 8 scouts transfer out and 3 ASM's to other troops. We have gone from 22 to 10 scouts in the troop 3 due to Eagle's.

Of the 10 remaining only about 4-6 show up to meetings which seem to be no more than a social hour there really is no meeting planned. This last week while the S.M. was unable to make the meeting I was asked to be there. While rearranging other committments no on showed for the PLC when I asked the scouts they replied "I forgot" & "no-one called me" this is NOT the first time it's happened. Well the meeting that occured after that was an hour of making candy apples followed by a game (which acutally was about 4 scouts talking outside). It's now been 8 days since I sent an e-mail to the CC and the S.M. and have yet to get a reply.

1/3 of the current S.M.'s are NOT TRAINED" I have decided to take the month of Nov to look at other troops. I'm going to go back to the last meeting in Nov and see if anything has changed, after 4 years in the troop it saddens me to start preparring a resignation letter.