Eagle Project Questions

Hi. Im a life scout who is starting to set up an eagle project...i have one chosen a project...i am building a memorial brick walkway for the Alice Paul Institute. Are there any questions i should ask the people helping me with this project that could help me to complete this project? and are there any suggestions to help me move along? ill keep in touch and give project updates here.

Thanks for all who respond to this thread. I greatly appreciate your help

AIM/YIM ---> zionia000

Hi There and Welcome to the forum.

Needless to say I'm sure everyone in the forum wishes you only the best with your project.

While I know very little about building a brick walkway I would hope that you involve a lot of your Scout friends and non-Scout friends in helping to get the job done.

You might want to think what style of leadership you need to use to get this done in the time allowed.

You might also want to sit down and write the plan down, step by step. Get everyone involved by showing them what you think the walkway will look like when your done.

When you are planning the project don't forget to include some little celebration for everyone that helped. Doesn't have to be anything big just a little something when you all can get together as a team and enjoy the fact that you made it happen.

Best of Luck, I look forward to the updates.

Eamonn

the slates (mostlikle slate than brick for reasons of eaze to use) with have donators to the Alice Paul Institution engraved into them...like the party at end idea...just went to take measurements today...im doing this project with little info or supply except the slate (or whatever we use) engraving will be paid for by the API...i am now working on the basic dimentions for the road and need to find info on how wide it needs to be...i have a basic sketch of what it is going to be and it is going to be a lot of hard work...i thank you all for helping me out and ill keep this thread updated

Thanx

Welcome to the forum! A short walkway was part of my Eagle project. It is a lot harder work than one would think. If you have any specific questions as to what we did, don't hesitate to ask. What kind of dimensions are you working with?

I just sent an e-mail to the American Dissabilities act to find out the minimal wigth i need...the basic dimentions for the project is a 60ft path to a 11X18 oval discussion area...more to ccome shortly

Make sure you keep track of all the time you put into the project. Not keeping track of the hours becomes a pain in the butt later, trust me. Are you going to do extra things to the walkway too, like a few plants along the sides, or some cheap benches, or is it just the walkway.

Great Project, wishing you the best of luck from one Eagle to hopefully another.

There is a large 18X11 oval discussion area that i am putting in the end of the trail...benches can be expencive, im looking into pricings for all the supplies including benches (plan is to have 3-4 but it depends on cost...this project is going to need a lot of funds as it is) but if the benches cant come in at the end of the project, i plan to have them added at a later time when we can afford them. there will be a flower garden surrounding 2/3 of the disscussion area and possibly a line of flowers

• 2 months later...

I have gone to my troop committee to attempt to get my project passed recently and was not approved because the project is presumably "too large" for me to run as one project. the committee suggested i choose a part of my plan and work with that. i have downsized to simply the oval disscussion area, and am almost ready to re-present to the committee, i just need to find one more vital price before i resubmit.

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a great project. like the others have said keep track of your time and remember you are organizing this not doing it all by yourself.

Just a thought.... maybe contact a landscaper or outdoor contractor and ask them for input into how to do this. I feel sure most would be willing to help you figure out how to do this properly.

yis

• 1 year later...