CAMPAIGN TO GIVE A BIG HUG TO THIS USER: MRSSMITH

Have to own up to not being much of a hug person. Not When Her That Must Be Obeyed is ten feet away!!

I do however join in the sentiment and hope that Mrs. Smith will become a regular in the forums.

Eamonn

For Mrs. Smith, a hardy handshake (left handed of course) for joining us in hopes of finding help and the scouting spirit. I know you did not find as much of either as you would have liked. Please continue to participate in the hopes that things will improve.

Bob White

"Are we still entitled to membership in BSA after a group hug? "

Last year when I worked as camp commissioner at summer camp, the Program Director would always yell "This is no hugging in Boy Scouts".

Of course me being having a little fog in me, led the staff in singing the Barney song and gave him a group hug.

Now he has moved up to Camp Director. Rumor has it this year that one of the requirements to get the Scoutmaster merit badge is to hug the CD once.

YIS

"I know you did not find as much of either as you would have liked."

Ed,

The "either" refers to "help and scouting spirit" in the previous sentence. I'm not sure where else you would get the impression of plurality in the sentence..

When I started here, I knew NOTHING about what Scouting was about. Encouragement from the "old timers (even you-know-who was nice to me and helpful) made me want to get educated. After studying the books, I was so impressed with the Methods, starting with the Ideals, that I felt like I just discovered a cure for cancer. The poll I recently conducted was definitely a reality check! I thought I had learned what Scouting Spirit should look like, so its true that I did not find as much as I expected to find. Pity its not better defined. Oh well, (sigh) I will share a cup of coffee with those kind enough to offer. And I do have hopes that the DECENT people on this forum will continue to put public pressure on the ones who cannot express their DISSENT without making the quality of the conversation DESCEND.

You may talk amongst yourselves now. Good night.

Asking the forum to ignore a user and expecting all to agree is unreasonable. Chewing them out as a group and calling them indecent decends the conversation all on its own.

I haven't been around long, but I have read a lot of what's here and I haven't chosen to ignore anyone whether I agree with them or not. I, for one don't think that makes me a bad Scout. You're free to think otherwise if you wish, but kindly don't be as rude as you were in the above passage you wrote and in the others where you chewed out the "old timers."

Uncleguinea

1. I guess it all depends on your definition of rude.

2. You are entitled to express your opinion. But, did somebody insert the words "bad scout" into my post? I don't remember typing them.

3. Your help a little earlier regarding rude posters would have made this chastisement more meaninful. I looked for but did not see your denunciation of FOG. I guess he doesn't bother you.

4. For Pete's sake, does everything have to be spelled out around here? Decent, Dissent, Descent. Play on another thread where some poor guy was being ridiculed for not using spell check. (another example of IN MY OPINION a lack of Scout Spirit on display there). Again, I never said anyone was indecent.

5. And if the chew fits, wear it. If not, don't be offended.:):):)

P.S. I guess I shouldn't count on getting any Hugs from you.(This message has been edited by MrsSmith)

If a hug will help, a hug I'm willing to give. Sorry for the Yoda-speak, but I'm that kind of guy.

Just because I object to verbal spankings doesn't mean I hold a grudge. From what I have seen of Fat Old Guy, I don't have a grudge. He's got a bit of a gruff exterior, but I've also seen him post some thoughtful stuff. I've yet to see him cuss, lose his temper completley, etc.

As to you, Mrs. Smith, if it's a cup of coffee you desire, and I happen to have one, you're welcome to it. I'm feisty in my own way, but don't see myself as a negative person.

I've been in Scouting a while (30 years) and am what you called an "old timer." But I'm not bitter about the movement. Far from it. There are all kinds in Scouting, but the common thread is the Scout Oath and Law. We follow it in our own way, but the law and oath are the same for all.

Welcome to the forums. Let's all stay positive.

As to numerically aligned responses, they are unnecessary here. I liked the smiles all in a row much better than I liked the 1., 2, 3, 4.

Now let's hug and have that cup of coffee.

Ah, the beauty of a virtual camfire. Almost but not quite as good as the real thing.

Welcome the the reality check of scouting or at least of those involved in scouting here on this forum. Would it be we could all fulfill the ideal of scouting. In the 'ideal' world we would be ideal scouts. However, in the real world you do what you can with what you got and come as close as possible, as one can, to the 'ideal'.

Do a Good Turn Daily and Be Prepared is what I expect of scouts that I work with. Every thing else is gravy and adds to the scouting experience. Most scouts do not realize what they have learned for many years. Thats ok, the seeds are planted and wil grow no matter what.

Sure this forum is full of a bunch of different ideas and philosiphies (sp). That is a good thing and increases all of our knowledge about scouting.

Sometimes the coffee is good as sometimes bad. Oh well, that is how it goes.

yis