Team Members for Blog

How is this not a "public" site. It is no more dificult to access this forum as it is a Blog site.

While I agree that Wood Badge is highly desirable, and I recommend and support that every one attend, it is possible to deliver scouting at many levels without it. A lot depends on the skills that the individual brings with them to the program.

As far as what a Blog is...

"A blog is basically a journal that is available on the web. The activity of updating a blog is "blogging" and someone who keeps a blog is a "blogger." Blogs are typically updated daily using software that allows people with little or no technical background to update and maintain the blog. Postings on a blog are almost always arranged in cronological order with the most recent additions featured most prominantly."

www.matisse.net/files/glossary.html

It would not seem to me to be the best tool for a discussion as it is designed to be a journal of events or experiences. A cyber diary of sorts.

BW got the description of a "blog" correct. I will add that blog is short for "web log". The cyber culturalists started referring to web logs as blogs. In the beginning, it was basically a diary of thoughts by the blogger. Many still are. Some blogs have the ability for readers to comment on them.....which basically turns it into a forum the same as this forum.

ASM1,

I am WB trained. I loved it. I highly recommend it to every Scouter I meet. I hope to staff a WB course in the future. Having said that, I will say that while it is desirable, it is not necessary to running a successful unit. WB is in large part a leadership development course. It is similar to many of the same types of courses that employers spend mega bucks sending employees to. Most of what was presented to me in WB was presented to me in several other courses my employers have sent me to over the years. The difference for me was that I actually got to CHOSE to go to WB instead of a boss telling me to go to a course. It made all the difference in what I got out of the course. Same material, different results. Difference.....me. WB is great, but make it mandatory and people will resent it. It would also start being dumbed down and shortened to accomodate people. Making WB mandatory would kill WB in the long run.

BTW, I know you can't read every post in every thread; but Laurie has stated in other threads her strong desire and future intention to go to WB. Right now with a house full of preschool thru grade school kids has her priority at home instead of spending two weekends away. Give her a break. The units I'm familiar with have a good number of military men in them. Most want to go to WB, but can't commit to a course several months down the road as they don't know whether they will have to report half way across the country or the world. Some folks I know have to seriously think about whether they can afford the cost. Fortunately for me, cost was not a concern. Others are not so lucky, even with it only running around $150 in my council.

I appreciate your concern for the health of units and the real need for training. But you seem to be a "glass half empty guy" when you discuss training. I'm sure your district trainer would be more than happy to sign you up to teach a class and to recruit people to come to it. If you want to effect real change, start at your local district level and help it to spread council wide. Then worry about spreading it outside your council. Take the virus approach instead of the baseball bat approach.

Until the BSA tells me that people are not trained until they take WB, I will consider them trained when they complete the courses that BSA says they need. In the meantime, I will encourage those folks to consider making every effort to go to WB. They won't be sorry they did it, but they will survive without it.

Well now I know what a Blog is!!

And there I thought it had something to do with Dr. Who or Monty Python.

Now I know I want to know what the difference between sounding off in a Blog is too sounding off here?

Still now I know what it is, I can die a happy camper.

Eamonn

"Now I know I want to know what the difference between sounding off in a Blog is too sounding off here?"

The difference is that in this forum people can respond and comment on the different posts viewed. In ASM1's blog there is no way to respond. At least I could not find a way. It is basically just an online diary of his thoughts which can be read by anyone who knows where to look.

"You can repond if you join the team..... Or did you miss that question in the original post?"

No need to be testy - or rude.

No, I did not miss that. However, as I stated, I could find no way to access the blog on the site you listed. That includes instructions on how to become a member of a team. If all requests for team membership have to go thru you (via private email or some other route) that is fine, but again, I found no instructions for this on your blog site or in your posts.

My nieces and children all have blogs or blog type things that they babble on with their friends. Personally, I don't see the attraction. Course, they all think I'm nuts for belonging to Scout forums and lists!

The Blog has been burned on our campfire. I hope all of you can forgive me for trying to bring Scouting back to the public forum available to everyone. I should have known better that we need to keep our adventures to ourselves and not to ever let the public in on our "great experience".

Please excuse me now while I go and throw up and ask myself why I have spent 37 years in this program. I will tell my 3 sons who have also dedicated their lives to Scouting that they have lost thier mission as well. I thank you all for showing me the light. At least I will have a few years left to notice what I missed by being so involved in Scouting.

ASM1