It also depends on the physical conditions of the river itself. We have a river nearby that 400 CFS is a drag (literally and figuratively), at 1000 CFS is challenging, and at 4000 CFS is boring because the water flattens out over all obstacles. 

For that kind of information, it is best to check the local resources. 

Edited by krikkitbot

yeah, sometimes to cancel or not is a tough call.

i have cringed a few times when Den Leaders or now SM's cancel a planned outing ahead of predicted bad weather.... because if it were just me, or me an my family, I would go in a second under those conditions and play it by ear.... you could always get there and once eyes are laid on the river back out.... and switch to a plan B activity

but I am sympathetic to that position where it is much harder to do for the group.... can be a tough spot for sure.

Good luck!

Switched to plan B on a lake vs. river based on eyes on the river yesterday.  If we had one more day the choice might have been different.

It will be fun watching the boys using canoes for moving water on flat water though.  Our 6 mile paddle will probably be 9 based on the amount of weaving I expect to see.