High Adventure....who needs it!

WE DO!

At the last RT I went to, we had a great discussion about high adventure activities we did with our troops. I was curious what types of things do you do. What is the most outstanding thing you've done as a troop? And how do you incorporate the younger scouts witht he older scouts keeping both groups happy? Also mention the area you're from.

I'm in Washington State and I admit, we're pretty spoiled around here. We have the choice of two mountian ranges and Puget Sound to choose from. But the trade off in our short summer months and the wet sunshine that continually falls. ;)

I'm excited to see what you all do! ;)

We have an annual 30 mile hike on the AT. The younger guys go to the campsite and do a five mile out and five mile back hike.

The older guys also go skeplunk . . . splekunk. . .. . sperklunk. . . caving every year.

We're trying to encourage them to do more high adventure stuff rather than just sitting around saying, "we're bored." But it isn't working.

(This message has been edited by Fat Old Guy)

We do Philmont at least every three years, some scouts go with the council troop also. Every couple of years the troop puts together a trip to the Boundary Waters in Canada for a week of canoeing. This is for the older boys usually 14 and up due to the physical demands. When we go to Canada we also plan a trip for the younger scouts usually to Colorado for white water rafting or somewhere that provides high adventure for them. These trips rotate so that a high adventure trip happens every year.

yis

To Red Feather: How do you manage to get to Philmont every three years. We have been trying for three years and end up on the waiting list every time. If you know any secret code to help us get in...let me know!!!

Not real sure how it gets arranged, I suspect that several people are working together to get it arranged. Have had one adult that makes/ starts the process and he has done it for several yeasrs now and I do not know his secret. Sorry.

yis