Questions to ask a prospective CO

In my other thread I outlined how the Pack, Troop and Crew I am associated with need to find a new CO.

I have been asked to attend a meeting next week with a church that maybe interested in being the CO or these units

What questions would you ask at this meeting?

Goals and vision?  Why do they want a scout program and what do they want it to do?

Expectations for "presence" of da scout program at various church functions, volunteer work for the church, etc.?

Ability to provide a few committee members for stability and wisdom?  It's always great to have some ballast on unit committees that keep things upright when parents are misbehavin'.

Identification of a COR who will be a genuine representative of da church and "present" for scouting?

Church youth protection and other volunteer requirements?  (background checks, training, rules for volunteers, etc.)?   Some churches and most schools will have requirements for their own background checks and trainin', and won't accept da BSA's.

What's their position on leaders or youth who are not part of their denomination?  Not Christian?  Unchurched?

Insurance coverage for their youth programs and volunteers?   Most will have this, and it's good for you to know.  Probably more clear than BSA coverage, and often more broad.

Insurance coverage for the troop gear in case of theft?

Fund raisin' opportunities at da CO?  Can yeh sell Christmas wreaths?  Popcorn?  Run a pancake breakfast?  Something else?

Behavioral expectations for kids?   Any zero-tolerance policies or other policies that would affect yeh? (more common for schools as COs than churches).  Any things about da building where yeh might get into trouble or cause conflict (like if da Old Ladies Guild meets next door and doesn't like da noise of kids runnin' around, or if it's taboo to ever allow kids into da sanctuary or whatnot).

This last one I'm a big fan of, but others may disagree.  I like COs to have some financial skin in the game.  If yeh are just theirs on paper, then yeh aren't really real to 'em.  If yeh show up on their budget and they write a check, then you are real and they treat yeh that way.  Yeh aren't the poor cousin whose meetin' time can get bumped or who folks get grumpy about.

I'd have 'em agree to pay annual unit registration and da registration fees of adults, and maybe agree to pay summer camp camperships for boys in need.  Unit registration and adult registrations for da minimum leader set (COR and two other MCs, SM) are sort of my base for this.   That's $136 per year.  If they aren't willin' to do that, then they really aren't serious about wantin' to sponsor a scoutin' unit.

Yah, one more given the other thread on bankin'... ability to use da church's EIN for da unit bank account(s), and perhaps help/oversight in da form of an annual audit?

Beavah

Edited by Beavah

No where do I see anything on what YOU can do for the CO. This is VERY important because, after all, Boy Scouts are supposed to Do a Good Turn Daily.

I would look for opportunities where your unit could do things for the CO. Do they have any annual events where your unit could help? Are there any repairs needed or on-going ministries (e.g. food pantry, clothing collections, etc.) where you can help.

I would emphasize that Scouting and the CO is a symbiotic relationship where both groups can benefit. That way you look less like a burden and more like an extension of what the CO may do.

• Upvote 1

treasurer concerns..... make sure it's understood about the bank account, and if they have any requirements or concerns.

I have recently learned that it's easier for a troop to just get their own EIN rather than opening a bank account using the CO's.....

but the CO needs to give permission to list them as the responsible party for your EIN.... and in the case of church to use their non-profit status....

this seems to be a rather new thing to worry with, that most existing units wouldn't know about

at least this is what I have gathered from my recent efforts and research

• Upvote 1

When I approached the church as a CO, I made it quite clear that the BSA troop is not an outside organization renting space in the church.  It is an outreach ministry of the congregation and should be supervised by the youth and evangelism committees.

• Upvote 1