email, and never miss an opportunity for a boy to lead

How much emailing (or announcing) do your adults do vs your scouts?

And not only email... could be verbal announcements in a meeting, a document of some sort, etc...

I've read many times, the words of wisdom, "Never miss an opportunity for a boy to lead."

It came up in a thread yesterday and got me to thinking about something...

Since I'm really new with the troop, and I don't have exposure to what other troops do, I'm wondering if this is something we might improve on a bit....

Our troop get a fair bit of emails from adults, that seem to be sent to everyone in the troop.... all adults, parents, and the scouts that have email

...a reminder about an upcoming event

...an announcement of some sort of charity drive the CO is doing

...a reminder to bring in a payment for summer camp

... a directive of what to wear for a meeting coming up (wear your uniform with sash for example)

... a last call to register for something

.... a reminder about upcoming elections, passing out a ballot pamphlet for anyone that wants to apply to run for POR, complete with full job descriptions and minimum requirements (looks very adult, but may not be..)

It strikes me that every one of these, or nearly every one, is really something that could be coming from the SPL, or maybe even better to each patrol through the PL.  Maybe form the scribe, the chaplain aid, quartermaster, etc...

So how does your troop or unit do it?

Our scouts don't e-mail. Texting, Xbox live, face-to-face (troop meeting), handouts. Face-to-face at troop meetings appear the most effective communication.

Even our adults rarely read/respond to e-mails, they prefer texts or phone calls.

YMMV

With being a new troop, there's a long learning curve to overcome in my situation.  At the present time, the adults have been dong a lot of the "reminding".  We have switched over to adult/boy-led combo right now with the adults doing the heavy lifting and the boys learning as they go.  With only two boys it'll be a struggle for a few more months.  We have the potential currently of a large cross-over group in June with a lot of interaction with these boy prior to the cross-over.  In order to insure the maximum potential and yes, efficiency, the adults are making the phone calls, etc. with the prospective new scouts, etc.

The goal at the end of the tunnel is to have the PL's responsible for all the reminders.  They are the ones tasked with the taking care of the boys.  It is also important that the "reminders" are kept to the minimum.  If the boys learn to simply ignore the comments up front, it's no big deal, there will be 20 reminders later on.  Boys of this age don't think much in terms of "tomorrow" and are pretty much concerned with what's happening NOW.  Maybe today, but that can be a stretch for some boys, tomorrow afternoon, unless it happens to be Friday, isn't really on the radar.

One needs to remember not to turn these repetitive reminders into a crutch for the boys.  Everyone should know the general troop calendar.  That should be posted somewhere that every one has access to it.  It might be a web page, or a calendar on the wall of the scout storage closet.  The PL's are reminded by the adults occasionally as to what's happening in the next few weeks.  It is then up to the PL's to translate that into understandable terms for his patrol.  If something gets missed because the PL dropped the ball, they'll learn that they need to pay attention better or get a PL who can do the job.

Seriously, the adults should be drinking coffee!  And the conversation around the coffee clatch should not be, "OMG, we failed the boys, Johnny didn't tell his patrol about the camp out and they aren't ready and we're going to have to step in and get everything ready in just 2 days!"  Instead it should be, "Do you take cream and sugar with your coffee?"

A couple of things are going to happen.  1) the boys miss the activity entirely and they learn a valuable lesson in paying attention, 2) the boys are going to do a massive scramble and get things pulled together at the last minute proving to themselves this isn't the fun way of doing things, or 3) the adults are going to step up and do it for them so they don't fail and the only lesson they learn from it all is that if they screw around long enough, the adults will cover their butts at the last minute.   Whichever one is picked will tell you a whole lot about whether or not one has a boy-led or an adult-led troop and how seriously they take trusting leadership opportunities to their boys.

Your mileage may vary.

Your looking at this wrong. Don't shape the program to look like your ideal troop. Shape it for maximum boy growth.

It is a lot easier to defend a program of growth than a description of appearance. 

I found the two most difficult skills to teach (boys and adults) are communication and delegation. Scouts grow the most when they confront with their decisions. So it stands that the more decisions they make, they more they will grow.

Every unit is a little different in how they manage the boy run environment. Communication is especially challenging because it changes with technology and today that can happen simply by the introduction of a new phone.

Barry

@@blw2, wow, great question. We try to keep communications focused. I think if you communicate too often the messages get lost. It took our troop a while to settle in to the mode we are in now where things are more focused, but it (communications) does get away from us every once in a while. When it does it is usually a new leader going communications happy. ;)

Here's what we use:

• SOAR/MyTroop: This is our website. It allows us to post announcements, files, rosters calendars, etc. Folks can pay online, register, see rank status, med forms, etc. We strongly suggest parents and scouts sync their various mobile devices with the calendar to avoid missing things. This is very easy and a great way to automatically get stuff on everyone's calendar. (Who Uses: Scouts,Parents and Scouters)
    • The site has a native feature allowing for weekly updates to be sent newsletter format and you can pick the day. This update automatically includes ANY changes to site content, calendars, etc.
    • The site also has a native email list feature for patrol and other unit communications. So patrols can send to Goats@xxx.xxx and reach everyone in the Goat Patrol. VERY helpful.
  • FaceBook: Basically our brochure online. We use it for recruiting and keeping extended family members up to date. Our troop historian has an anonymous account to post things online. Requires parent approval and the account is monitored by the parent of the Scout who is historian. (Who Uses: Scouts, Parents and Scouters)
  • Twitter: Closed group for parents. Essentially used to keep parents informed arrival times and other fast-moving logistics. We also use email for the same purpose but this helps. (Who Uses: Parents and Scouters)
  • Blogger: We use this to keep parents and family up to date on what is going on during camp outs. This is something we started 5 years ago as a way of posting the fun the boys are having. We post short blurbs about activities, some pictures, etc. Parents like this. (Who Uses: Parents and Scouters)
  • Remind: This is a free text service that works a bit like a closed Twitter account. The SMs and PLC use this to send group text messages back and forth.
  • E-Mail: This is linked to our group lists on SOAR/MyTroop. We try to keep these to a minimum.
  • Shutterfly: For pictures archive. (Who Uses: Scouters)
  • Google Forms: Used by Scouts to get the pulse of the troop on various activities.(Who Uses: Scouts and Scouters)
  • Phones: When in doubt, pick up the phone. (Who Uses: Scouts and Scouters)

One KEY thing we do is try to keep all communications short. I always remind the PLs, SPL and ASMs to communicate using bullet points, putting your most important bullet up front. Long paragraphs lose the reader. Short, complete bullet points are important, making sure that your point is clear, concise and communicates the information or action required.

Lastly, *proof read*!! Don't post or hit send until you proof read!!

I am sure I missed something but that's about it.

Edited by Krampus

Our scouts don't e-mail. Texting, Xbox live, face-to-face (troop meeting), handouts. Face-to-face at troop meetings appear the most effective communication.

Even our adults rarely read/respond to e-mails, they prefer texts or phone calls.

YMMV

ok, yeah... great points! adults never read my emails in cubs, so why should it be any different now?!?

so change the question.... who does the texting, talking, or whatever in your troop?

......A couple of things are going to happen.  1) the boys miss the activity entirely and they learn a valuable lesson in paying attention, 2) the boys are going to do a massive scramble and get things pulled together at the last minute proving to themselves this isn't the fun way of doing things, or 3) the adults are going to step up and do it for them so they don't fail and the only lesson they learn from it all is that if they screw around long enough, the adults will cover their butts at the last minute.   Whichever one is picked will tell you a whole lot about whether or not one has a boy-led or an adult-led troop and how seriously they take trusting leadership opportunities to their boys.

Your mileage may vary.

you forgot option 4) the boys are going to do a massive scramble and get things pulled together at the last minute proving to themselves this isn't the fun way of doing things that they can get away with minimal effort and it will be good enough, and thus save all that time paying attention, planning, and otherwise preparing, but instead goof off and STILL get to go on the campout and then have fun there too.

Your looking at this wrong. Don't shape the program to look like your ideal troop. Shape it for maximum boy growth.

It is a lot easier to defend a program of growth than a description of appearance. 

I found the two most difficult skills to teach (boys and adults) are communication and delegation. Scouts grow the most when they confront with their decisions. So it stands that the more decisions they make, they more they will grow.

Every unit is a little different in how they manage the boy run environment. Communication is especially challenging because it changes with technology and today that can happen simply by the introduction of a new phone.

Barry

So really then, I'm NOT looking at it wrong at all!

Because my suspicion is that in an ideal troop the adults wouldn't be doing so much of that stuff.  instead the boys will get more growth out of doing it themselves!

bringing us back to my original question.... how much of this stuff do the adults in your unit do?

... or maybe a better question might be, who does it & how does your unit do stuff like this?

wow @@Krampus, very well developed I think.  

and very helpful answer!!! Thank you!!!

there's still a question outstanding though, who does most of the communicating?  I know you listed, for example that scouters, scouts, and parents all use Soar for email and calendar, but who is doing the sending or entering most of teh time?

Lots of great ideas & I like a lot of those considerations.  It will take me a little time to get up to speed on if or how we do some of those things.  We use troopwebhost.  It seems that most of the troops around here do, I don't know why really.  I know it does a lot of what you have outlined, but i'm not sure if it does it all or not

At first glance though, your system seems very fragmented.... with lots of places to monitor.  I'm sure in practice it's not that bad, but still, wow that's a lot!

and one side comment.  i used to use shutterfly for these kind of things in cubs and for kid's sports teams, but I found that the site is really set up more as a sight to sell photo mugs and such.  If a parent sees a pic they like of their scout, they can order a christmas tree ornament with the photo on it, but they can't just download the picture to add it to their collection.  Sites like google photo are a bit better IMHO.

ok, yeah... great points! adults never read my emails in cubs, so why should it be any different now?!?

so change the question.... who does the texting, talking, or whatever in your troop?

Follows down the chain of command, with frequent hiccups and repeats :D

SPL ---> PLC,TC   PL's ---> scouts   scouts ---> parents

^                              

SM....: ........................> ()TC() <--> ()TC()

yes TC wears earmuffs, SM has hearing aid

Edited by RememberSchiff

wow @@Krampus, very well developed I think.  

and very helpful answer!!! Thank you!!!

there's still a question outstanding though, who does most of the communicating?  I know you listed, for example that scouters, scouts, and parents all use Soar for email and calendar, but who is doing the sending or entering most of teh time?

It took a great deal of time and training at the adult level. The Scouts picked it up right away.

Depending on the channel the scouts do some and the adults do some communicating. The scouts tend to use email and text between each other. The adults mostly email. We are lucky in that most check frequently. The website is used by all.

The FB page is maintained mostly by the Historian (scout). The website is done by a combination of adults and scouts.

At first glance though, your system seems very fragmented.... with lots of places to monitor.  I'm sure in practice it's not that bad, but still, wow that's a lot!

Not really. The website is the main source (announcements, calendar). Twitter only for camp outs to announce arrival and status. Blog is an FYI thing. Remind is a smaller admin group of leaders. So the use of the tool is situational. For example, adults know when we are on the road we use Waze and text/phones. It is kind of like knowing when to use a specific tool. We train the adults when they come in to the troop.

and one side comment.  i used to use shutterfly for these kind of things in cubs and for kid's sports teams, but I found that the site is really set up more as a sight to sell photo mugs and such.  If a parent sees a pic they like of their scout, they can order a christmas tree ornament with the photo on it, but they can't just download the picture to add it to their collection.  Sites like google photo are a bit better IMHO.

Actually they can now. We have the site set up that they can download the full resolution picture online. If they sign up (free) we make everyone an admin and they can post/download the full res images.