Since my pack won't be listing me on the recharter this year (my son is crossing to a troop), I have been wondering... what's to happen with my training records, membership # for access to my.scouting, etc...?

I'll most probably sign on as a scouter with his troop at some capacity in the future, and would hate to have to redo the training and loose my history.

So what happens when a scouter is no longer connected with a unit?

I'm registered as a Merit Badge Counsellor so I'm thinking taht might help to hold everything "active", but I'm not sure....

Your information is registered at the "Scout Office" and or your information is at Scouting.org where you did some of your online training.  You can also keep up with all that information there once you put in your BSA number, all your training will be available.

Since my pack won't be listing me on the recharter this year (my son is crossing to a troop), I have been wondering... what's to happen with my training records, membership # for access to my.scouting, etc...?

I'll most probably sign on as a scouter with his troop at some capacity in the future, and would hate to have to redo the training and loose my history.

So what happens when a scouter is no longer connected with a unit?

I'm registered as a Merit Badge Counsellor so I'm thinking taht might help to hold everything "active", but I'm not sure....

Your BSA record follows you. That is, assuming the system itself has not deleted you (see other threads on that subject). Your BSA ID will continue to be linked to your log in on myscouting. When you cross over eventually your records will be "redirected" from your Pack to your Troop. This may take a while. Usually a few months after your Boy Scout application is filed with your council and the paperwork is processed your record will eventually be changed from your Pack to Troop. At that point you are officially on your troop's roster. Your training record should always be attached to your BSA ID, so any training you take now (while still linked to your Pack) will be assigned to your BSA ID. When your ID gets transferred to your troop, your training will show up on the troop's training dashboard. Until then, simply print off your training certifications and send to your troop's training chair to make sure they give you credit. You may have to supply proof of leadership training to your troop as part of chartering with them. The unit may also ask for you to submit training proof for their own internal system if they track such things.

I always print off proof of my training history whenever I take a new course as BSA has been known to lose training records. I have found, though, that if you can present physical proof of completed training they (council, national) will always give you credit.

Your ID is council specific.  I moved and the new council cant pull my records because they are not national records.  BSA record keeping is horrible.  Print your records before they get lost.  When you re-apply, you can show your print out to council to make sure they update your records.

Your BSA record follows you. That is, assuming the system itself has not deleted you (see other threads on that subject). Your BSA ID will continue to be linked to your log in on myscouting. When you cross over eventually your records will be "redirected" from your Pack to your Troop.

Only if you stay with in council. Unless things have changed, if you move to a different council, you get a new ID number, and you got to resubmit records.

One of the biggest P.I.T.B.s when I moved 5 times in 7 years, was having to resubmit copies of everything.

Only if you stay with in council. Unless things have changed, if you move to a different council, you get a new ID number, and you got to resubmit records.

One of the biggest P.I.T.B.s when I moved 5 times in 7 years, was having to resubmit copies of everything.

The BSA ID from the mysocuting.org is a NATIONAL number. It CAN follow you. The problem is how councils choose to implement use of the system. For most councils, the people are too lazy to correctly transfer the BSA ID from one council to another; mostly because they don't know the system. For them it is easier to simply create a new record than to transfer a record. We see this all the time.

I've seen the national system's data schematic. Trust me, it SHOULD be able to simply transfer you from council to council. They fact it cannot is not a system problem, rather a USER problem.

@@JasonG172, jsut keep your ID active and have your new unit/council pull the record from national. It can be done, the council people just need to give a darn and do it.

Edited by Krampus

That's what I thought, there is always misinformation out there.

thanks

Not so much misinformation as folks not familiar with the software. All too often we see people everyday saying something can't be done, but what they really mean is that it is easier for them to do it one way rather than the way that might be correct. ;)

Having seen the BSA system from the inside, I can say that the process of transferring an ID is pretty silly. I have no doubt it is easier for the end user to create a new user and "fat finger" (re-input) the data in the system than to merge and transfer a record.

Thank God for these people. It is why most of us in IT have jobs. ;)

• Upvote 1

I've seen the national system's data schematic. Trust me, it SHOULD be able to simply transfer you from council to council. They fact it cannot is not a system problem, rather a USER problem.

@@JasonG172, jsut keep your ID active and have your new unit/council pull the record from national. It can be done, the council people just need to give a darn and do it.

It's never the user's fault! Some developer just didn't take the time to build the intelligence to detect the various patterns in which a transferring scouter would be "thumbed." Edited by qwazse

It's never the user's fault! Some developer just didn't take the time to build the intelligence to detect the various patterns in which a transferring scouter would be "thumbed."

Developers work off of business and functional requirements (or should). Knowing BSA systems development, their business folks don't have a clue on how to develop systems.

• Upvote 1