Double H Ranch - Philmont

You can contact the Philmont trek office. Keep in mind that Double H is not at Philmont but is in the same state. My understanding was that all the openings were filled this year by units on stand-by for Philmont, but it never hurts to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Please go look at the pictures of the "lodges" and vistas and the man with the gun and the Elk he studied before he bagged it. I am sure that rich business men from large cities would be highly impressed with this kind of sport.

They probably shoot from the top of a westerly rise right after the supper feeding time. They are then whisked away by four wheelers back to the lodge where a cook has an elk roast prepared at the end of a long hard day's hunt. Later that night, the trophy can be mounted and Fed-Exed back home post paid by the crew. Oh, the memories!

But then, I could be wrong. It's just pictures.

FB

After reading the information I got from the folks at Philmont I believe that the ranger will be with the trek for 7 days. We are to be there by 10:00am the day the trek starts and be ready to vacate the premises by 12:00 noon the day the trek leaves.

Has anybody investigated the transportation possibilites - chartering buses, vans etc. Flying into either El Paso, Texas or Albuquerque, N.M.

After reading the information I got from the folks at Philmont I believe that the ranger will be with the trek for 7 days. We are to be there by 10:00am the day the trek starts and be ready to vacate the premises by 12:00 noon the day the trek leaves.

Has anybody investigated the transportation possibilites - chartering buses, vans etc. Flying into either El Paso, Texas or Albuquerque, N.M.

A "Little" more info on double H

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/double-h/index.html

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/philmont-doubleh.html

We are checking into flights but they are accepting any reservations yet.

Thinking about using Blue Sky Adventures or renting 2 vans.

I take some of yous have issues with hunting? Part of it is also a cattle ranch.

Eagle 54 did you get in?

If so when will you be there?

In regard to getting in - I talked to Philmont last week and they wanted to know if we could start on July 22, 2004 (one of our preferances was July 21, 2004. I told them that we could start on the 22 July. We are waiting now for information like when do they need the money etc. Dan thank you for your help.

Eagle54

You will be going on the trail the day we leave!

This could really be something that the scouts remember! Being at Double H for the first year! If it gets a popular as I think it will.

If you need more info on transportation let me know, they have 5 bus lines listed in the packet I have, if you do not have these let me know and I will get them to you.

First prehike is Saturday, starting out with a easy 8 miler.

We sent back our information including money to Philmost. What do you understand the national tour permit neans "the maximum to drive is 10 hours and reduce that time if there is just one driver."

PS I must not been on my toes when this was discussed in Wood Badge.

Dan how did the prehike come out.

Will the tents, stoves be provided? What is your concil policy on council contingucy?

Tents will be provided, you must provide you own METAL tent stakes, 10 per person??!, seems like a lot, if you are tenting 2 per tent, some are used for the rain fly. Or you can take you own tents.

List of items to be provided by the crew.

Tent Stakes 10 per person

2-3 Collapsible wanter containers, 2.5 gal each

2 one qt. fuel bottles and funnel

2 or 3 backpacking stoves, with separate fuel tanks

1 crew first aid kit

Duct tape

Spices optional

Padlock for crew storage

Waterproof ground cloth 1 per tent

3 fifty 1/8 nylon cord

Sunscreen

Insect repellent not aerosol

2 to 3 water purifiers/filters

You should be receiving a packet of info with all of this info.

Prehike is tomorrow.

What state do you live in that you are thinking of driving? The GTSS say to limit the amount of driving per day for safety. Since we are from the flatland of Illinois, we are going to try to go out at least 2 days early to try to get use to the altuitude.

We are coming out of Fort Worth, Texas - the western end of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

We can make in about a day and half.

You are probably doing the best thing getting use to the higher elevation. We went to Spainish Peaks South Ranch in Walesberg Colo, which is at about 7,500 feet and I felt it when we got there.