Stupid Cooking Question

I think this hits hardest on an NSP of 8 crossovers who were advancing uniformly in isolation of the troop. If they've all made it to 2nd class at about the same time, they have to set aside 8 camping nights to get everyone up to speed.

Even so, I don't see this as the greatest problem. While one boy and a buddy cooks, the others could be mastering other first class skills. (Camp gadgets, swimming, navigation, etc ...).

Of course the obvious troop-method solution is to try to integrate these 2nd class scouts into existing patrols. But, if they've been really mastering skills and having a great time, why would you want to?

... On a personal note, why the heck didn't national incorporate this new method in the ITOLS syllabus? And I love how in the BSHB they talk about folks doing the same thing for the entire weekend trip, but the sample Duty Roster is the traditional rotation method.

Thanks folks for the answers.

IOLS: maybe the best syllabus would simply be allowing direct-contact leaders to earn advancement. That way, they hit the same snags as the boys do without having to waste a weekend trying to foresee all possible advancement woes years into the future.

Rosters: Did I miss something? Does the sample duty roster require rotating everyone? OR is it just implied? At summer camp, our boys usually rotate into cook for all three meals of the day. On weekends, we honestly don't pay attention to who does what. If the PL is always fine with how his boys chip in with chores, we might not ever suggest a roster to him.

At summer camp the camp commissioners wanted a duty roster posted in each campsite.  It is the only time I have ever seen the boys put one together and it was totally ignored throughout the week.  Everything seemed to get done quite well without it, too.  

At summer camp the camp commissioners wanted a duty roster posted in each campsite.  It is the only time I have ever seen the boys put one together and it was totally ignored throughout the week.  Everything seemed to get done quite well without it, too.  

In my expereince, it's usally the older Scouts who have been around a while, know each other really well, etc etc, that can really get away with no duty roster. Some mixed aged patrols can do it, some can't.  NSPs gotta have it, otherwise their is arguing, bickering, and nothing gets done.

The leaders in my troop do this. each one picks a meal. we buy everything needed for it. And everyone chips in for KP.

Except the last campout I went on. The idiot who was suppose to cook breakfast didn't wake up on time to do it. Used getting back from the hosptial at 5:00AM as an excuse for oversleeping. :o 

Quazse,

Traditionally each meal had different folks cooking them. Samples from the past showed that, and that is how it was taught at Brownsea 22, JLTC, and the old SM Fundamentals..  Looks like that is out now. Looking at the 2016 requirements,  Scouts need to cook three meals on a single camp out still.

As for IOLS, oneof the things I HATE WITH A PASSION (emphasis) about the syllabus is the idea of signing off a card when they do something, "just like the Scouts."

As for Cooking MB, I guess those meals he has already done can go towards that instead of First Class since he got a partial in it.

In my expereince, it's usally the older Scouts who have been around a while, know each other really well, etc etc, that can really get away with no duty roster. Some mixed aged patrols can do it, some can't.  NSPs gotta have it, otherwise their is arguing, bickering, and nothing gets done.

Okay, it's gotta be something in the water here that's different.  It has been my experience that the NSP tends to go to bed first, even at times complaining they don't want to go to the campfire and if they do, they sleep through it anyway.  We had a camporee once where they were going to do an all-nighter and sleep in in the morning.  My NSP ended up losing one of the boys and all the troops went into panic mode trying to find him in the dark.  He had gone as far as he could, laid down and went to sleep.  It took almost a half hour to find him.   They are also the first up and going in the morning getting breakfast ready.  

Of course they haven't learned older boy bad habits yet and the ones pushing the envelop are my middle to older aged boys.  There's a time in there that just doesn't fit with doing things the way the world wants them to.  :)

I guess if given a choice I'd prefer it being a hassle with the older boys, their peers usually force conformity or go without eating a couple of times and face the wrath of their peers.

I usually consult with their PL before any SMC to get feed back as to their Scout Spirit in the patrol.  PL's have no problem telling it the way it is.

The NSP PL usually if he's not a new boy himself does well in making sure the boys all get a chance at advancement so there's very little hassle and if their is a roster it isn't written down nor posted because I've never seen it.