What to do with too many willing adults

One of the troops I serve has an interesting problem what to do with too many willing adults.

Were a very large troop and recently embarked on a major overhaul of the program to get the scouts back in the role of actually running things. After a lot of hard work and training, its starting to really take off. It has actually reached the point where the scout leaders will ask us disruptive adults to leave the meeting room. (Lets hear a rousing chorus of hip-hip-hoorays!)

The problem now is what to do with all the extra adults. Until about 5 months ago, adults ran everything from the 1YR program, to discipline, to meetings and campout activities. We have several ASMs (SAs) working as coaches with groups of scout leaders, but not everybody has an assigned job, so they hang around the perimeter griping about the scouts inefficiencies and noting how they could do it better. We have to continually remind them that of course adults could do it better, but thats not the point.

The question for you: How would you make use of extra trained, motivated adults to help support the program without getting in the way of the scout leaders?

In a brainstorming session with the SM today, we came up with a few ideas:

Develop and implement a training program for the Instructors so we could ensure they were really ready to lead troop training events.

Do the groundwork on future high-adventure and special activities until the scouts were ready to take over.

MB counselors (outside of troop meeting time).

Find new places to camp (preferably some unimproved land non-BSA, non-park)

Looking forward to your thoughts!

I would suggest to look over the Committee and make subcommittees of the different areas: outdoor, membership, training, secretary, FOS, advancement, etc. This would help lighten the load from one individual to a small group.

This would have the restless adults work in teams to deliver the program from the committee side. I would also see if it is feasible for the adults to meet in another section of the meeting place, a separate room.

Make a monthly rotation list of the adults for the Board of Review.

I would assign the SA's in the following areas:

one for the FCFY program;

one in each patrol as a Patrol Advisor;

one or two as liasons between the neighboring pack's Webelos Dens;

one as advisor to the Venturing Patrol; and

one as a liason to a neighboring Venturing Crew.

What ever area needs help. You could just plug in an adult leader to either help advise or to train.

Matua

Matua you're on the right track and I especially like the idea of rotating adults through the BoR... You might wish to consider introducing some of these adults to the District level of operations; training comes to mind and might have an appeal to some and there's always some of the annual programs ie Popcorn, Food & Clothing Drive etc. And didn't I hear it said once that once that almost every adult can serve as a skilled Merit Badge Counselor for something?

Not all of this addresses keeping folks out from underfoot during a Troop meeting but might keep them productive and occupied at least!

Good luck; seems like a nice problem to have but make the most of it

Matua you're on the right track and I especially like the idea of rotating adults through the BoR... You might wish to consider introducing some of these adults to the District level of operations; training comes to mind and might have an appeal to some and there's always some of the annual programs ie Popcorn, Food & Clothing Drive etc. And didn't I hear it said once that once that almost every adult can serve as a skilled Merit Badge Counselor for something?

Not all of this addresses keeping folks out from underfoot during a Troop meeting but might keep them productive and occupied at least!

Good luck; seems like a nice problem to have but make the most of it

THANK YOU for actually supporting boy lead troops, it is a rare occurrence now days. Locally Im sure that your council office and OA lodge would love to have more volunteers, camps always need help as well as real adults to run rifle ranges, climbing towers, COPE courses, water fronts, etc. Always a great option for teachers.

All have shared some very good ideas.

I would however caution against using them as patrol advisors. with the exception of the New Scout Patrol which is assigned an ASM, advising the patrol is the Scoutmaster to Senior Patrol Leader to Patrol Leader responsibility and should not be delegated to anyone else.

How about a troop trainer to get new adults through Fast Start, Youth Protection and New Leader essentials?

How about beefing up the advancement committee with a merit badge counselor recruiter, a ceremonies person that finds and scripts new ceremonies, a ceremonies props committee that makes new and interesting devices to dress up the Court of Honors?

A communications committee that organizes and maintains a newsletter, website, media releases, phone tree, and produces a recruitment packet, and a new member packet.

The finance committee could be made of a treasurer, popcorn organizer, special events chairman.

How about a person or two to head a special flag ceremomies team to represent the troop and the program at special community events where flag presentations are needed.

How about an assitant Committee chair to lighten the load and fill in when the CC is unavailable?

What to do with too many willing adults?. Thank your lucky stars you have such an enviable problem. :)

You know, there are several times that I've disagreed with Bob. But this time, I can't agree with him more. I was building a list in my head of several things they could do, but he got them all and added a few. I'm going to save this list for our troop.

No offense to those who offered the ideas regarding District, commissioner and OA roles, but I think you're missing one important point. These adults want to be involved with this troop.  They are probably parents of scouts and truly desire to be around the program.  Therefore, Mike, you need to find roles that keep them involved in your troop, but focus their energies in ways that doesn't conflict with the boys doing what they are supposed to do - run the troop.

The other thing you need to do is to continue to teach the adults about what their role is.  Keep preaching from the "Gospel of Baden-Powell".  Point out what the boys are learning.  Praise the boys publically for taking the leadership role.  We had a boy-run Court of Honor yesterday, and it went reasonably well.  (I'll be giving the boys some "coaching" on some of it.)  At the end, when I got up for my "Scoutmaster's Minute(s)", I really praised the boys for stepping up and taking the responsibility.  And, I publically challenged them to continue their progress and challenged the adults to let them do it. 

Great ideas!

Thanks to all!!

Good comment about adults wanting to support the troop -- that is the case, although we have a fair number active at District, too.

Our Troop Committee is somewhat understaffed. We'll be trying to convince some to move over, but most want to be Assistant Scoutmasters and work with the program.

-mike

Mike F

A big Troop can have many directions. Each adult leader has many skills and resources. When you put the two together, there can be a boy led program that has few limits because of the adult support.

It may be that you are unknowingly providing limits to your program. Don't let the size of the operation stop you. Your Troop could go places and do things that are unbelievable!

It is important that you guys expand your horizons. Give yourself permission to do so.

FB