Shared Leadership - The Role Of The ASM?

In answer to Eamonn's original post, the need for dedicated meetings for adult leaders may depend partly on the size of the troop.

One of the troops I serve is very large (some would say too large and I wouldn't argue). We were having difficulty being consistent in our approach with the scouts and are doing much better since we started having monthly Scoutmaster Staff tagups. These are part brainstorming new ideas/solutions to problems and part training. As we are working hard to move to a more scout-run troop, it is necessary to keep reminding the adults about our approach and expectations. This would best be done around the campfire, as Bob White observed, and maybe we'll get there in a year, but for now, we need to put more effort into it.

Similar to KS, some of our Asst SMs have specific areas of responsibility and some are "floaters" - helping out as required.

We usually have our meeting during the week prior to the Troop Committee meetings. The SM (and sometimes an assistant or two) attend those to brief the TC on our program status and to seek assistance on any concerns which come up in the SM Staff meetings (facilities, equipment, advancement, etc.). The SM also gets feedback from the committee on any concerns they have about the program and its execution.

As much as I hate another regular meeting, these SM Staff meetings are very valuable in keeping us all on the same sheet of music.