Was The 2010-2015 Strategic Plan A Success?

Does anyone have a working link to the original plan?

All I could find was last year's (2014) progress report.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/stragegicplan/pdf/Strategic_Plan_Progress_Report.pdf

Hopefully, the upcoming Annual Meeting will update and report this.

IMO, some improvements since the last Strategic Plan

http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/6182-was-2006-2010-strategic-plan-a-failure/

Does anyone have a working link to the original plan?

All I could find was last year's (2014) progress report.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/stragegicplan/pdf/Strategic_Plan_Progress_Report.pdf

Hopefully, the upcoming Annual Meeting will update and report this.

IMO, some improvements since the last Strategic Plan

http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/6182-was-2006-2010-strategic-plan-a-failure/

I think this is it.

Was the strategic plan a success?

We have provided volunteers and youth serving executives with new, innovative, and reliable measurement tools, strategies, reward systems, and resources to support individual units in increasing member retention from year to year.

This "tool" was for CS. Did not see one for Boy Scouts. As with many things BSA does, it is more a collection of ideas that a set of implementation processes, policies, procedures and measurable objectives which a volunteer can use.

The retention rate of BSA youth membership has increased to 75 percent from 69.5 percent in 2008.

I don't know how BSA can measure retention. All they ever ask is how many Scouts did you have in the previous year and how many do you have now. To measure retention you need to track if "Bobby" is still a scout one year from another, otherwise you are just tracking net growth or decline, not retention. Retention is specific to the individual. If Bobby leaves but Tommy takes his place you haven't retained Bobby, you've replaced him with Tommy.

We have transformed the membership registration and transition process so that individuals within the same council may move seamlessly between Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and/or Venturing without having to re-register when they change programs

ROFL...I just have to chuckle at this. We had a parent cross over from a pack, filled out an application and became a Committee Member. Two months later wanted to become an ASM, filled out another application. Wanted to become a MBC, had to fill out another application. They got the MB wrong at council, person had to fill out ANOTHER application.

The biggest failure is around membership. There's way to much to quote to discuss how BSA has failed in that mission.

Well, just to pick one out that I think is very important, Objective III, Specific Goal # 4

4. We have transformed the membership registration and transition process so that

individuals within the same council may move seamlessly between Cub Scouts, Boy

Scouts, and/or Venturing without having to reregister when they change programs.

[December 2013]

As far as I can tell, that did not happen by December 2013, not did it occur by May 2015, nor (from what I can see) has any progress been made on it at all. Registration for each program and each unit is still required, and even if they worked out a new method of registration, the transition still would not be "seamless" because moving from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts would still mean selecting and joining a new unit. I am not necessarily saying they should do away with separate units at different levels. I am saying that this goal suggests that they will, and they haven't, nor have they made any move toward such a thing.

Amidst the exciting verbiage about innovation and technology, I didn't see a single mention of improving the dismal annual unit rechartering process.   Or did I miss it?  The process is a blend of the worst aspects of needless paperwork and clunky software.   Unnecessary pain for the units.

As I learned during my military career, all strategic plans are declared "successes."   Even if they aren't.  You can't have a fancy powerpoint presentation with senior leadership present at the big strategic plan wrap-up gala if you failed to achieve a goal or objective.

• Upvote 2

Amidst the exciting verbiage about innovation and technology, I didn't see a single mention of improving the dismal annual unit rechartering process.   Or did I miss it?  The process is a blend of the worst aspects of needless paperwork and clunky software.   Unnecessary pain for the units.

As I learned during my military career, all strategic plans are declared "successes."   Even if they aren't.  You can't have a fancy powerpoint presentation with senior leadership present at the big strategic plan wrap-up gala if you failed to achieve a goal or objective.

The strategic plan and its "analysis" is further proof BSA has people playing at being executives rather than real executives at work. Spend 20 years in the private sector, 10 in non-profits and 8 in the military and this can be clearly seen. They don't know their customer and are merely reacting to problems and issues....many not even the issues or problems they should be addressing.

• Upvote 1

Are you suggesting that we the scouters should review their strategic plan and grade it? 

Met Goal

Partially Met Goal

Failed to make progress towards goal

Should not have been a goal

??

• Upvote 1

Real world goal:  Increase sales 15% or your ass is fired.

BSA goal:  Develop a "tool box" so someone else can increase sales if they feel like it.

SUCCESS!

Exactly.

Worse was that the tool box discussed what needed to be done to be successful, not HOW you to those things to become successful.

Maybe we ought to celebrate with a gala the most successful failure of the year.... 

I'll RSVP right now!   Open bar?

The strategic plan and its "analysis" is further proof BSA has people playing at being executives rather than real executives at work. Spend 20 years in the private sector, 10 in non-profits and 8 in the military and this can be clearly seen. They don't know their customer and are merely reacting to problems and issues....many not even the issues or problems they should be addressing.

Exactly...just because someone has the title of "executive" or "director" or "commander" doesn't necessarily mean that person has the executive skills needed to really make an organization perform at its best.

Real world goal:  Increase sales 15% or your ass is fired.

BSA goal:  Develop a "tool box" so someone else can increase sales if they feel like it.

SUCCESS!

Sublime!

I'll RSVP right now!   Open bar?

Exactly...just because someone has the title of "executive" or "director" or "commander" doesn't necessarily mean that person has the executive skills needed to really make an organization perform at its best.

Sublime!

Now Atlanta seems to be booked, ditto Vegas and Disney. Could we have this, I dunno, outdoors/ Say at one of those camps for sale. Mebbe call it a woods meeting?

Good Brainstorming.