Committee Meetings and Information

Minutes, which should mainly list the motions and decisions regarding them (carried vs. fail) should be available to parents. (Who will generally ignore them.) Parents who read them and have questions should be invited on the committee!

All of the discussion pro- vs. con- should be summarised by "Discussion Ensued".

Personal stuff should be discussed in executive session, a motion should be submitted if the key-3 want a committee decision. No parties should be named in the motion. (E.g., "Motion to underwrite 4 scouts remaining camp fee from troop treasury. -- Submitted by Executive Committee -- Discussion ensued. -- Carried".)

If your minutes are like that, you should find a way to make them as accessible as possible.

If all of the debate back and forth, personal opinions, names of affected parties have been written down ... the minutes need be redacted before being circulated.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Qwazse. That makes perfect sense to not share names. Our minutes are not like that and I don't believe they are available to parents. Since I quit our committee, the others have been told they are not allowed to discuss anything with me.... I do still want to be informed, just tired of the politics. I didn't think the information in meetings was "secret", but I 100% understand eliminating names and such for us non-committee members. =]

What's a Troop MB Counselor? I thought all MBCs were district positions.

Likely, it's a MBC who is only willing to work with Scouts from the troop ion which the MBC is registered as an adult.

It's not so much a matter of confidentiality, but rather efficiency. If somebody reads "decided to help Joe" or "went with Jane's idea" they don't have any clue about what actually was decided. Too much gibberish in the chronicle, and folks who read them (or, rather actually read them to make decisions) will soon stop doing so.

A quick question.... Committee meetings have a secretary... meetings are recorded. Is that information available to parents' date=' troop MB councelors, etc? Or, is that information for only committee to know?[/quote']

In our troop, we publish it on the Troop website.

Thank you Qwazse. That makes perfect sense to not share names. Our minutes are not like that and I don't believe they are available to parents. Since I quit our committee' date=' the others have been told they are not allowed to discuss anything with me.... I do still want to be informed, just tired of the politics. I didn't think the information in meetings was "secret", but I 100% understand eliminating names and such for us non-committee members. =']

Scouting doesn't allow for secrecy. The only info that should be kept to certain people is medical information.

What's a Troop MB Counselor? I thought all MBCs were district positions.

Yes, and no. The District has to approve all MB counselors, but a MBC can work with only one troop, should they so desire--hence, in effect, a Troop MB counselor.