I sure hope that whatever you chose, I sure hope you realize how lucky you are to have a Mrs. that backing you up like that.

Stosh

no kidding!

If the Troop is a "Boy Led Troop", the transition should be fairly smooth. In my Scout days, I remember having 6 Scoutmasters in 6 years. I have no bad memories of any of them. We went hiking and camping and swimming and to the movies and bowling (duck pins) as a Patrol and Troop. The SMs were there to support us along with all the other dads and moms.

Maybe it was the time we were in, but I see no problem inherent in a qualified, experienced ex-SM taking on the role for a while until a more permanent fellow can be recruited.

Ok, I did it. I let the current SM and CC know last night that I would step up as SM through June of next year (which was when the current SM was going to step down). That gives us just over a year to find someone and properly train them. I am looking forward to this challenge and thankfully, as several of you have mentioned, I have the support of my wonderful wife and my kids. In fact, my wife has volunteered to organize our (used to be) annual family camp that no one else would volunteer for and my oldest son is looking forward to being a bigger participant as a leader.

Thanks again for all the advice on here.