Minimum number of adults in a troop?

NJ asked:

"One other thing I have never been completely clear on in this general area. If an IH decides to personally represent the organization without a separate CR, does he/she have to register as CR? Or can he/she simply be the liaison as IH? I guess another way of saying this is, do you actually need someone designated as CR on the charter, or can the IH fulfill that role as part of his/her leadership of the CO, without the additional title on the charter? (Now that I read what I wrote, I am guessing that IH does have to register as CR, because the "liaison" role is considered a "leadership" position and the BSA probably wants a registered adult (which the IH position is not) in that position. But if someone could clarify that...) "

I love it when someone answers their own question and is correct.

While the IH is not registered with the Boy Scouts of America, the Chartered Organization Representative is a registered position with the BSA.

Unlike the Venturer signing their own application question, this is a "why" question that I am able to answer definitively.

Each chartered organization in the Boy Scouts of America has one vote in the council. The chartered organizzation representative casts that vote on behalf of the chartered organization at the council's annual meeting. That's why it must be a registered postion. It's also why the COR has to be the same for each chartered organization regardless of the number of units chartered to that organization.

DS

There's some flex in the area, but if the system is working properly, the IH should be the head of the organization -- they can delegate everything to the Chartered Organization Representative, including signing the charter, signing adult applications, etc.

I always try to get the head of the chartered partner as the IH -- and they agree because all I'm asking them to do is their job as the head of the organization. Sure, they could, using the example of a church unit, the head pastor could designate an associate pastor as the IH -- but why? Any way they cut it, if all else fails, they're the person I would contact and would want to build a relationship with.

As an amendment to what I just said, I once worked with a unit chartered to the United Methodist Men's Club of the First United Methodist Church. The charters was to the United Methodist Men's club and it's President was the IH. That didn't stop me from being concerned with who the Pastor was.

DS