Life to Eagle Coordinators

Just saw this in Scouting. Am not a big fan of helping Life Scouts too much...especially my own. If he makes it, he makes it. If he doesn't, it is not the end of the world. Beyond the quarterly or semi-annual email asking "How's it going?" I'd rather the Scout drive his advancement. Not in favor of too many reminders or too much management. My goal is to get those interested in making Eagle to Eagle, not making sure as many guys who have Life make Eagle.

http://scoutingmagazine.org/2014/04/game-life-eagle-helping-scouts-reach-finish-line/

I would tend to agree. More open ended questions "have you hit any stumbling blocks you are not sure how to navigate?" Versus, "have you completed x, y and z ? You are starting to fall behind, better get them done." I do like the suggestion not limiting the projects to "build something". One of my sons friends was hit by a car on his bike two days after getting it for Christmas. He will not make a full recovery (severe nerve damage), so I really like the idea of a bike rodeo.

I really like the idea of a bike rodeo.

Agree. I keep trying to tell my candidates it is not about the project, it is about how you demonstrate the leadership on the project. Poor planning, communication and execution of a big, building project may lead to you having to redo things, versus a well-planned smaller project where nothing at all is made.

Saw a food drive one time that was more successful than the Districts Scouting for Food. ;)

• Upvote 1