Fundraising Idea--Logistics/Tradmark help.

I was talking with my COPE Committee at a recent meeting. We are about 18 months away from having to replace a good bit of equipment per BSA standards. As with many councils, getting money for such purchases from the Scout Office is like pulling teeth. We have thought of a pretty decent way to raise funds, if it is possible.

We have an idea of creating general BSA license plates for vehicles. Not the state-issued tag, but one for the front of your car. We were thinking of a basic design with the Fleur-de-Lis or "Timeless Values" logo incorporated somehow.

Now, we want to have the plates made and make them available to any Scouter that wants one. We would probably have to pay royalies to the BSA for the use of trademarked symbols.

Knowing this would be fairly time-intensive, would this be something worth doing?

OX

It is something your council could do as the local legal scouting non-profit organization. Can you or the COPE committee do it? No.

Lets say you made the plates and they did not sell. Who is going to pay for the plates to be manufactured? Who would be financially responsible for the loss? Now lets say it makes money, is your committee a registered 501C (I believe that is the designation) nonprofit corporation? Who is responsible then for the taxes due on those sales?

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob White is correct. The COPE Committee can't do fundraisers on it's own. It is an arm of the council and there are more rules than I care to quote that back up this position.

Now, let's focus on what you CAN do. I prefer to look at the positive and part of what I'm trying to do by participating in these forums is to help volunteers understand the system and work within it for the greater good of the youth we serve.

OXCOPS, the key I see in your post is that you're looking 18 months out. Excellent. You're talking about things with COPE that will have to be replaced.

You say that getting money from the Scocut office is like pulling teeth. Well, from the other side of the fence it's called fiscal responsibility and if it's not there, the donors flee in droves.

18 months is long enough out for the council to build those replacements into future budgets.

What your committee should do, is start building a list of items that will need to be replaced and back it up with the appropriate national standards and the best current prices you can find.

The list should look something like this:

X feet of rope have XXX hours on them. In 18 months, we estimate they will have XXXX house and that exceeds BSA regulations of XXXX (I dont' have the numbers in front of me.) Replacement cost is $$$.

Build the entire list. Get the appropriate approvals to get your committee's needs built into the appropriate council budget. You'll have to ask locally which committee the request needs to go to, but I think you'll find that working within the system is easier than you think.

DS

Bob and DS,

I was hoping you both would chime in! :) Thanks for the help. I understand the SE's position on money. I know he must account for every penny and his job rides on that. I have no problem with that.

I guess we are looking to head that problem off at the pass. Our intentions were to be able to raise enough money for COPE to be self-supporting so no Council funds would need to be spent on us.

Bob's comments had me thinking. We have also talked about getting the council involved in a way. We thought trying to sell them through the council and split the kitty. Basically, we would let the council keep a certain percentage for helping us pitch the project. This would also help with the tax-exempt issues, would it not?

OX

You still have the same problem. You are a subcommittee of the council. There is no financial independence for you. All funds are council funds. DS gave you the right path. Present a detailed budget to the council finance committee explaining your needs. How council money is spent is there responsibility. The more prepared you are with accurate detailed information the more likely they are to Meet your budgetary request for next year. if you want, share your fundraising plan with them They may decide that it is a way to finance the COPE budget. But again, have your ducks in a row. What is the upfront costs, what are your other costs (processing purchases, shipping, storage? How many would you need to sell how will you advertise, what will that cost? What is the risk?

When you are responsible for the stewardship of other peoples money there are a lot of things to consider.

I am not saying don't do it. i am saying be able to do it right.

Bob White

Bo White is correct. Again.

Figure out what the council needs to spend and then let the council know what it is.

Most know that there are only so many hours of use one can get out of helmets, ropes, carabiners, etc. You know, from what you've said, 18 moths (which translates to Scout Executives at this time of year, one and a half budgets out) what needs to be replaced.

Place your proposal now so that the appropriate funds can be budgeted/allocated. The council financial stewards will take care of the rest.

Stay out of the fundraising business and get back into the high places ;) (I was going to say trees, but we don't do that anymore.)

Seriously, go with the system and you'll do fine. The trouble arises when people don't let the council financial stewards know the needs until the money is already spent (unapproved) or the costs are hidden until the last minute.

With 18 months advance notice, a lot of good things can happen.

DS