Ideas for Wolf Achievement 4f.

We went to the Veterans Memorial in the park next to the library. On the other side of the library is a historic home and the local historical society. The memorial was full of engraved bricks. We asked the scouts to find a brick with their name on it. We asked them to find a brick with a woman's name. We asked them to find a brick from a certain way. It was challenging to keep them engaged. The really just wanted to run in the park. I think we might start next meeting by running laps or a game of tag, get them tired, then ask them to sit down and listen for a minute.

We went to the Veterans Memorial in the park next to the library. On the other side of the library is a historic home and the local historical society. The memorial was full of engraved bricks. We asked the scouts to find a brick with their name on it. We asked them to find a brick with a woman's name. We asked them to find a brick from a certain way. It was challenging to keep them engaged. The really just wanted to run in the park. I think we might start next meeting by running laps or a game of tag, get them tired, then ask them to sit down and listen for a minute.
Duh! You ALWAYS burn up their energy first! If their tongues aren't hanging out and they're gasping for air, they aren't ready to start thinking about sitting down. :) 50 minutes of running around for 10 minutes of Achievement 4f, and you're golden~!

Stosh

Thank you for all the suggestions. I guess a lot of the trouble I am running into is that many of the government locations close at 5pm and we don't meet until 6:30 (about half of cubs have parents who both work.) We probably need a Saturday activity, so I am looking for something in January since we have Scouting for Food and the Christmas Parade all within a few weeks here on Saturdays. We actually have a wonderful archaeological area here, and they have belt loop programs for scouts...but only for the Webelos. I have been discussing with them about having a program for the younger boys. Maybe something will pan out....the boys always have a good time there. There are wonderful historical sites with tours also, but I am concerned with their behavior. I think about half of them would be fine.....can pay attention for the tour and would learn a lot, but the I don't think the other half would pay attention or enjoy it.

What is that old saying? .... You can lead a Cub to the museum, but you can't make him learn? No, that's not it....

Anyway, as I have learned in my subteaching and Cub Scouting, the best you can do is give them the opportunity. Sometimes, SOMETIMES, you hit the right docent or guide, and they make it fun and the kids come away saying "cool" and humming the song, so to speak. It will stick with some, slide off of some, make some think, make some go ho-hum. That's the luck of the draw.

As to the boy whose dad is a "let boys be boys", I have sometimes had to get RIGHT DOWN IN THE BOY'S FACE and tell him how things will be. Then they listen. Later, the dad comes and says, "I don't know what you did, but he was different after that meeting"....

• 2 months later...

I appreciate everyone's ideas. I really wish we had done this activity as one of the very first activities in the fall, however, I didn't know scheduling would be such a problem. We are planning to go to a park, that has historical significance. I just hope the weather cooperates.

Our den will be Webelo's by the time the change happens, but I hope for future cub scouts that the Go See Its are easier to arrange. We have many of the things everyone mentioned, but it is impossible to visit them at night. The library and the fire station are by far the closest and most interesting, but we already visited them in Tigers.

Plus, this is probably another thread, but I am really worried about the behavior of the boys. As soon as they show up at Scouts, they immediately turn wild...even with constant reminding. It is so frustrating.

Again, thank you all for the help.

I appreciate everyone's ideas. I really wish we had done this activity as one of the very first activities in the fall, however, I didn't know scheduling would be such a problem. We are planning to go to a park, that has historical significance. I just hope the weather cooperates.

Our den will be Webelo's by the time the change happens, but I hope for future cub scouts that the Go See Its are easier to arrange. We have many of the things everyone mentioned, but it is impossible to visit them at night. The library and the fire station are by far the closest and most interesting, but we already visited them in Tigers.

Plus, this is probably another thread, but I am really worried about the behavior of the boys. As soon as they show up at Scouts, they immediately turn wild...even with constant reminding. It is so frustrating.

See JBlake's replay to howarthe on 11-04-2013. That about sums it up. But definitely start a new topic on this one. We've had similar, but it's always nice to have a fresh batch of replies!
  • 3 weeks later...

All my cubs go crazy too. It's the age. I bribe them with games at the end of the meeting IF they behave + I jump through hoops to "fun it up" when possible.