Apropos of Veterans' Day - a scout project

DENVER - The clear notes of taps played by a live bugler should be part of every veteran's burial service, according to a group of volunteers called Bugles Across America.

Colorado is home to the first group of young buglers who are volunteering to play at veteran's services.

A month ago, 13-year-old Ray Banks co-founded the cadet corps of Bugles Across America.

Banks, who lives Greeley, got involved while looking for an eagle scout project.

"I got interested in bugling from scouts because during World War II, scouts were called upon to sound taps at veteran's funerals so it kinda went together," Banks said.

Now, 12 young people are part of the cadet corps. They join some 2,000 adult volunteers who play at veteran's services. Bugles Across America is a not for profit organization.

Volunteers from the group have played at almost all of the services for U.S. soldiers who have died in Iraqi war. Families of any U.S. veteran can request a volunteer from Bugles Across America.

Banks said, "This is is our way of saying thank you to our veteran's for fighting for our country."

do you have any more info on this program?

My son is working on becoming the troop bugler. He became inspired after reading about an American Legion Post that bought an electronic bugle because no one knew haw to play the real thing.

It's an awesome project and it carries my highest endorsement. I don't konw much about it, but it was on the national news tonight. If there are ways we can help out, I'd sure like to hear about them.

Perhaps someone will sign up to play Amazing Grace on the bagpipes when this old professional goes to meet his Maker.

DS

My son wanted to do this exact thing as an Eagle project. He ran into two problems. The first was the Scoutmaster, who although he is a great guy, has a thing about approving Eagle projects which are "soft": Without an edifice to point to at the end. Second, he couldn't get the school district's OK to permit kids to be out of school to play when needed.

I would have gotten him to press the issue of the SM saying no if he could have overcome the school thing, but it didn't make sense to make an issue out of something he coudn't do the way he proposed it.

My youngest wants to raise money to purchase install, and train for Automatic External Defibulators on a local golf course (or more). It will be interesting to see the SM's reaction to that one.