Please settle a argument.

Can a young man use his position in his church young mens group as leadership towards Eagle? I am not refering to a Troop or Team position. Both my Council & District say no. The other side says his District and Council say yes.

Who is right?

The "requirement " in question is

#4. "While a Life Scout, serve actively for a period of 6 month in one or more of the following positions of responsibility.

It then lists the positions in the Troop and the Team.

My position is that the list is the answer, Period. My friend in another Council says that his information says that a position in the Youths Young Mens Church group (NOT THE TROOP/TEAM/CREW) meets this requirement.

What say you?

I am not refering to any Handicap considerations.

You didn't post the entire requirement captain ron (a scout is trustworthy). By the way it is a requirement on the way to Star or Life, not Eagle, isn't it?

It lists specific positions in a scout unit OR a special project assigned by the Scoutmaster to benefit the scout unit.

Now ask yourself what part of this requirement is satisfied by your serving in a post for another organization, and I think you will discover the correct answer.

But I think you honestly knew that before you asked.

Bob White

Bob,

Captain Ron holds the position that the church group leadership positions DO NOT fulfill the requirement. You should be a little more careful before you assume and imply that another person is being untrustworthy. It is a matter of courtesy. (A scouter is courteous)

Even if captainron's position were ambigious, it would be discourteous to assume the worst. Given that he wrote his position and it was ignored, I can only assume that you didn't read the entire post carefully. Tsk tsk..

NO

It is a Eagle Requirement, while a Life Scout.

Does not even give the SM the chance to give him a leadership project unlike Life and Star.

So even if the SM said it would count it should not.

Its spelled out pretty clear. Boy Scout Handbook page 446.

Who is the "other" side?

Captainron - You friend in another council is sadly mistaken. I say sadly, because the boy he is counseling to do this is going to have big problems when the time comes for has Eagle application to be approved. The application lists the positions which can be used and that's it.

Where, if not the BS Handbook or the Eagle application, is your friend getting his information?

captainron14,

The short answer is no.

The Eagle rank requires a position of responsibility within the unit. There is no special project option and even if there was, how does being a leader in the church young men's group benefit the unit?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

captainron14 asked his question:

"Please settle a argument.

Can a young man use his position in his church young mens group as leadership towards Eagle? I am not refering to a Troop or Team position. Both my Council & District say no. The other side says his District and Council say yes.

Who is right? "

Captainron's friend may be teasing him a bit. I think the answer, as so many have said is "no." Unless, however, the "church young mens group" IS a troop/team/crew. This is quite often the case in the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. Other churches can and may use the Scouting program as their church group and the friend could have simply not mentioned that the youth group he refers to is a troop.

Other than that, the answer to the question would be No.

DS