One of the boys in my troop asked me for an opinion on the Civil Air Patrol program compared to scouting, after a community event where our troop and a local Flight? (I don't remeber the terminolgy) had booths near each other. I told him I diden't have much experince in that program but I would do some reasearch for him.

So what do you think about the CAP? Personaly, I found them slightly arrogent, telling off two or three scouts for no real reason, But I diden't want to influence this kid to my outlook without getting a few more opinions.

Thanks,

F.S.

Like Scouting, CAP has all types. Wannabe Marines, ex-military, people who love to fly, etc.

My experiences with CAP are nearly 30 years old but I remember them being much more "organized" (read that as disciplined) than Boy Scouts. Someone in authority would speak and things would happen, mostly because it is military oriented.

Some people like CAP, some like Sea Cadets, some like Sea Scouts, some like Boy Scouts. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, so on and so on. Scooby, doobie, do on.

The Civil Air Patrol (of which I was a part as a youth, very briefly and made private first class) is part of the United States Air Force Reserve Auxillary. They sometimes help out with search and rescue operations in the states and watched coast lines for enemy invasion during WWII.

Partnerships have been formed and Venture Crews organized with Civil Air Patrol units in the states, but I'm not sure how many.

It's a good organization and many of its goals are compatible with Scouting. I would not dissuade anyone from joining.

It is a different organization, however, and a new member should not go in expecting to find another version of the BSA. It's different. Not bad, but different.

Sorry I couldn't help you more.

Dave

Back in the mid 80's we had a cooperative agreement between Aviation Exploring and the CAP. Based on the rules at the time, they could do some things Explorer's couldn't do and vice versa. Since then, much of those rules have changed.

If the scout is interested in aviation, I'd have him check with the council to see if there is an Exploring Post around. I'd also check out any local Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) for a young Eagle's program. Nothing wrong with checking out the CAP too. It just depends on where his interests are.