Great MB and one that needs changes

Yarrow I'm a MB couselor for Dis Awareness and a disabled veteran. I think you are foucusing in the wrong area for requirement 3B and perhaps missing the point of the merit badge as there are many different types of diabilities besides physical. Besides no one can "force" a boy to join. The requirement is to seek out the disabled to join. This would inlcude invite someone to a troop meeting or outing etc to offer them the opportunity to join. The requirement is not to join. This requirement is more ment to have the scout become more aware of the disabled boys that they can get something from scouting too.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" First of all it is currently impossible for that to be true on a physical level."

Considering the public schools' push for calculators in the 1st grade and most of my scouts' inability to do mental arithmetic, I have no confidence that people will become competent with a map and compass before going to the easy route.

I too think the Cooking badge is too long.......not by number of requirements, but by time needed. I am in agreement that we don't need to weenify the badges but they should not be so arduous that they are not taken on. Cooking is one that every scout should have under their belt to go camping. I would love to see all our scouts clammering to be the cook for the meal or weekend and enjoy stretching their menu and cooking ablility outdoors. Very few of ours will even try the badge.

My boy likes the more hands on badges and hates the writing. He doesn't mind the research so much, just doesn't want to write reports.

I see the badges as a way to learn new skills in an area that is unfamiliar to the boy and a way to let them explore future careers. Every badge he does he learns something new and ends up wanting to go into that field........really hates writing though.