The Supreme Court- Winners or Losers?

Guest OldGreyEagle

While I am dismayed by some of the decisions (both historical and recent) that the Supreme Court has made, I am absolutely appalled by Merlyn's casual advocacy of violence in the safe ride thread.

Not just advocating violence, but the assasination of sitting government officials!

It is one thing to advocate a revolt against a government wrong like the Patriots of 1775, but quite another to speak of shooting your own government officials.

To think the Patriots did not even try to kill King George III.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants" -- Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Col. Wm. S. Smith, Nov. 13, 1787

If government officials decide I don't have rights, that's when I decide it's time to kill them. This country wasn't founded just by writing petitions, you know. Are none of you willing to kill to combat a tyrannical government?

If the first amendment is being ignored, everyone's.

To turn the question around, is there anything that would cause any of you to take up arms against a tyrannical government? Or is any properly elected government OK, like when Hitler was legally elected?

Sporadically shooting government officials could terrorize others.

It is interesting to note that your destruction of any center of opposition to the Supreme Court leads you to such an extreme chance.

My ideas would provide two ways to halt a tyranny of the Supreme Court without violence.

The President and the Congress could exercise their right to examine the constitutionality of measures.

Or, States could interpose themselves to protect their citizens.

You instead want to give the Congress and the Presdent no power to look at the constitutionality of any measures and want to deprive the States of any powers to protect their people.