Socioeconomic status and Race

In another thread, the issue of needy scouts and their ability or inability to wear full field uniforms was supported in the discussion by two posters by stating the percentage of blacks and Hispanics that were in the units. The implication is that the minority race of the unit supported the argument that they were poor and needy and this reflected on the discussion of whether or not they could get a full uniform.

When you use the race of the youth to justify the fact that these were indeed boys in need, you are supporting a racist stereotype. Before the outrage begins, I seriously doubt that the posters who said this were either black or Hispanic. Racism is viewed as having died in the 70's to a majority of whites in the USA. It is viewed as being quite alive and well by a majority of blacks. The thought police have nothing to do with this. The sensitivity of those who do not understand or experience racism has a lot to do with it.(This message has been edited by boleta)

boleta,

if anyone is being racist it is you. I don't know what race you are but I am betting you are one of those white liberals who has never experienced prejudice personally. I was speaking in the other thread of my own childhood neighborhood where I went back and was able to establish a positive scouting experience for those boys who like myself had literally nothing their entire lives. Oh and for the record I am both Hispanic and part Black. You went to medical school, so don't tell me you know about real poverty. The kids in my block were lucky to live past 10 years with all the gangs, drugs, and unemployment. I have dealt with prejudice every day of my life, so don't come preaching to me because it is obvious you don't know what you are talking about. Eamonn and I were doing just fine in communicating about a unique scouting experience and certainly didn't need your interference. So enjoy your little thread for the ill-informed. If you want to have a discussion about race with me then bring it on, I would love to enlighten you.

So, you call me a racist now?

This follows a pattern in your posts from previous threads to attack.

Reread the original posts and eliminate your holier than thou reference to race and it loses nothing to support either argument. You do not know me either so get of the soap box.

The black person driving down the street in a BMW may be the Cardiac surgeon I know and not the drug dealer you know. White America will generally assume he is a drug dealer, rap artist or professional football player before he is considered to be a successful surgeon. That, my friend, is racism. There was no need for you to mention the race of the youth in your units to support your argument.

Ever notice how people who have been called a racist immediately go defensive and backpeddle and just have to prove to the guy throwing the bomb that he is JUST NOT ONE OF THOSE RACISTS.

Then you have to hear, "Well I have a friend who is black."

I hate when people do what boleta did, so BANG, he's on my squelched list going forward.

There's my reply.