Spirit of the Eagle Award

Troop 91 in Zimmerman, MN lost an Scout over weekend in a tragic accident. The committee is putting him in for the Spirit of the Eagle award.

I would like to ask the forum on the way this should be presented to the family. A moving ceremony would be appropriate, but does anyone any ideas of what should be included?

Thank for your input.

Scott Hemgren

I think the family should have a strong role in the way in which the Spirit of the Eagle is presented.

The Spirit of the Eagle award -- if memory serves me correctly is presented by the national council upon recommendation by the local council to Scouts who have passed away who were on the path to Eagle Scout.

I see no reason a Court of Honor can't be given, very similar to an Eagle Court of Honor. I know of no official ceremony. It could be as elaborate or as simple as the family wants and the troop is willing to provide.

I wish I could be of more help. If you email me privately, I can quote you chapter and verse on the requirements for the award and the approval process -- from the Scout office, but don't have the resources here at home.

As to ceremonies to present the award to the survivors, I'm very interested in hearing the thoughts of this esteemed group of Scouters.

DS

That's a wonderful thought, but I would certainly give the family some time. The troop could quietly begin the process (DS--please post the basics here, I'm interested to know what they are), but you obviously want to follow the family's wishes.

The loss of any young life is always tragic.

Please accept my deepest heartfelt condolences.

Only last month we had a young lad from our council pass on.

Like the others I too would like to know more about the award.

This past weekend I was talking to the SPL of our Wood Badge course, his "Real Job"is a minister.

We somehow got onto the topic of grieve and grieving.

I said that it took me a long time to get over the death of my Dad and how even now there are things that"Set me off."

For example my Dad was a great Jim Reeves fan.

I went to do a diet for a elderly man the other day and he was sat next to his record player listening to Jim Reeves.

I have to admit that my eyes were getting really heavy.

Gene, the minister said that he thought that because of his job and being around grieve so much that he thought that he was almost immune.

His sister had passed away at the age of 50. At the time he managed it very well.

Then one day this spring he was driving his car and it just hit him.

He said that he had to pull the car off the road.

I feel sure that whatever you do that you will go with the wishes of the family.

It might be that at this time they are not ready for something like this.

No matter what I like to think that there is a Scout up in heaven looking down on us and doing what he can to help us do what we can to do a better job living the Scout Law and Promise.

I will keep Troop 91 in my prayers.

Eamonn

Hi guys.

It's late at night and my resources are at the council office. Let me give you now what I remember of the award and if someone reminds me during the daylight hours of 10/16 ot 10/167 -- I'll be in and out, I'll look it up and quote you chapter and verse. For now, here is my memory.

The Spirit of the Eagle Award is awarded by the national court of honor on recommendation of the local council to those Scouts who perish before they have the chance to earn the rank of Eagle Scout, but who were on track. The nomination should go to the council advancement committee either through the district advancement chairman or committee to the council committee. I believe there is a form.

I know of no formal ceremony for presentation of this award, but it sould envelope the wishes of the family.

Please remind me in the next couple of days and I'll look up the specifics.

DS

Here are the chapter and verse of the Spirit of the Eagle Award, taken from the Advancement manual.

"Spirit of the Eagle Award

The Boy Scouts of America has created the Spirit of the Eagle Award as an honorary posthumous special recognition for a registered youth member who has lost his or her life in a tragic accident or through illness.

This award is bestowed by the National Court of Honor as part of the celebration of life of this young person. The award recognizes the joy, happiness, and life-fulfilling experiences that the Scouting program made in this person's life.

The guidelines are:

The recipient must be a registered youth member under 21 years of age at the time of his or her death.

The unit committee must submit an application for the award within six months of the youth member's death.

The unit committee must request the approval of the local council.

The Spirit of the Eagle Award application, No. 92-108, is available through local council service centers."

DS

This one is new to me too, but there's an important word in the "chapter and verse" from DSteele: CELEBRATION.

I would consider modeling it after a regular Eagle ceremony, adapting lines as required. Make it a celebration of the joys and victories the young man had in Scouting. Recognize the difference he made in the lives of others in his too-short time on this Earth.

And best to wait -- this is going to be hard on his buddies and leaders, too, but a great life lesson. Our days are numbered, but we know not the tally.

My prayers are with Troop 91 and his family, too.

Mike F

I agree with Mike F. And I might add, have at least one person - adult or boy, it doesn't really matter - who can not only speak to the Scout's qualities, strengths, and ability, but also find someone who can truly speak from the heart. Words blandly read from paper, no matter how well they're written, come off as contrived. If you really want to honor this boy and bless his parents, find at one person who can unapologetically and passionately recall his spirit and character.