Gern you managed to bring the DRP into the discussion. Huzzah for you.

I don't excuse anybody that hurts a Scout by doing things beyond their level of knowledge and experience.

In fact the next accident that happens in Utah will make me sicker than the last one.

Outside seems to have a bit of enviro-high speed high tech snobbery to it. Many of those folks seem to be going to the outer reaches of the planet. I wonder how many subscribers have needed rescue.

So Annette,

Go peirce your son's tongue and stop painting me and mine with so broad a brush. I have not hurt anybody on a backpacking trip. Your son would be bored as we only to small trips to the 'Dacks. Your son conquered Alaska at 2, Grand Canyon at 4, and Green River at 6. I'm trying to get our patrol leaders to boldly venture to the local supermarket to shop for a troop trip. I've got kids whose parents won't buy them proper gear. How much leadership did your son provide on those trips. Conquering Alaska while incontinent, I'll bet you are so proud. Snobbery at it's best. The Scouts have helped millions of young men become better than they may have been. You've dragged a child on high priced getaways.

[expletive deleted]

PS. I learned an awful lot about camping in the Marine Corps, while I was defending your right to slander my 100 year old organization.

PPS. Could we all be better trained , Yes, but you aint' gonna do a darn thing to help us get there. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Who is the "fenced in suburbanite with no experience or training"? On which trip was there only one leader present? I must have missed something.

Some Troops may only car camp or do very limited hiking, in very moderate climates. What type of training would you mandate for those leaders? We already mandate BALOO for Cubs and Webelos leaders. Certain trainings are required for certain types of activities, in order for a Troop to get a Tour Permit. What else would you mandate? How would that prevent the boy in NC from wandering off?

I think the parents have the ultimate responsibility in deciding if they will let their son go on a trip. They need to be very knowledgeable about the training the leaders have, and their skills. As you know, someone can sit through a training class and pick up a card without learning a thing.

There has been talk of mandating Wilderness First Aid for HA trips. Problem is there aren't nearly enough courses being offered to meet the demand, if it were required.

Sorry to hear training isn't very popular in your area. Here, the Wilderness First Aid classes were all sold out. Climb-on Safely at Summer Camp had to turn Scouters away. BALOO has been sold out for every course for at least the past 4 years.

I seek out training, whether it be First Aid related or other BSA areas. This is my third year serving on the Steering Committee for our Scouters Academy, the Council's largest training event. I have over 30 years of camping experience, and 25 years of hunting experience - here and in Africa. I'm smart enough to know I don't know everything, and that Mother Nature and wild animals plays by their own rules. I read lots of morbid books, like Death in Yellowstone, Bear Attacks of the Century, Death in Silent Places, and Into Thin Air so I can learn from other's mistakes. The day I stop learning is the day they take me to the morgue.

Highlighting an accident where a boy fell in a river is not pointing out lax training. It is taking cheap shots at an organization she despises.

BTW, the leader involved in the Superstition Mountain incident she mentions was a former Navy Seal. What type of training are you going to recommend for him? Fenced in suburbanite?

This ....witch wrote a book about L.N.T. in which she bashed the Boy Scouts for teaching kids to ditch their tents(fist edition). She spoke of a 1967 edition of the Scout Handbook.

Helloooooo,

In 1967 chemical plants along the Niagara River were seen as American strength, manufacturing powerhouse.

The Hudson River was an open sewer.

Her father could have worked in a manufacturing plant to send her to journalism school or put food in her pie hole.

Yes times have changed for the best and the Scouts have changed too.

She has an axe to grind.

I'll try to quote her first edition chapter and verse.

Whatever your opinion may be, uz2bnowl, I do not understand your repeated need on this board to use foul language and crude suggestion to get your point across, particularly aimed toward women. I find it offensive. Unfortunately it also detracts from what may be some very valid points you are trying to make. Please consider as well that this sort of language and hostility is neither friendly, nor courteous, nor kind, nor clean.

uz2bnowl, you wrote: "[expletive deleted]"

I don't know, perhaps I have misinterpreted this. I have seen this used elsewhere and it has generally been taken to have a rather cruder meaning than what you are now attributing to it. I have never seen it used to mean "[deleted]" Nor would many people feel a need to encode "[deleted]" in such a manner.

So, if I misunderstood your original meaning, or have wrongly attributed to you things you didn't intend, then I apologize. I sincerely hope that's the case in fact, particularly given that this is a scouting forum. But if I didn't misunderstand you then...yikes, I'd have to suggest anger management to you or something. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Another common radio term was [deleted]

and it stood for "[deleted]"

Like as in a gold or blue star from your teacher?

"repeated need on this board to use foul language and crude suggestion to get your point across, particularly aimed toward women"

Wish to expand on this? Your words...... can you show where mine fit the bill? (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Whoa...

Memo to Fellow Staff:

Misconstruing the unmeant misunderstood multiply referenced jargonistic lingo is to be avoided.

Mebbe a new thread?

SNAFU

POTFH (Indiana U vs Purdue)

GFY

IMHO....

Write the letters to Outside, I've seen some very appropriate responses here, and THEY need to be addressed outside the choir, STS.

Thanks, Hops. Foul and profane language, even when encoded in an acronym or anagram is beneath the dignity of Scouters and not appropriate in these forums. Nobody is fooled. Thus, references have been deleted.