18 year old female, ASM

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's in a Venturing crew, and has been supportive of the troop, ever since her brother joined. I guess the next question is if girls, under 18, who are an adult leader in the troop, are eligible for OA?

Yep she can register as an ASM, a CSADL, or a WADL for adult roles, and as a venturer or Sea Scout as a youth.

heck she can even dual register as an adult with one unit, and as a youth with another.

As for YP, ya gotta love the "gray area scouts" cause in some programs they are adults, and in others they are youth. So when she is on a troop overniter, no need for an adult female as she IS an adult female, but with a crew, you better have an adult female.

As for OA, here is where it gets intersting, if memory serves. Anyone 20 and under gets a vote in an OA unit election, including leaders 20 and under. ALSO leaders 20 and under who were First Class and meet the campign requirement can be eligible. Since she wasn't a First Class Scout, she can vote, but not be eligible.

I bet the Boys in our Scout Troop or Crew would listen better with this ASM.

An ASM...yes, but remember the G2SS uses 21 or older as "responsible adult" for some stuff.

G2SS Online;

Trek Safety

1. Qualified Supervision

All backcountry treks must be supervised by a mature, conscientious adult at least 21 years of age......

Safe Swim

1. Qualified Supervision

All swimming activity must be supervised by a mature and conscientious adult age 21 .....One such supervisor is required for each 10 people, with a minimum of two adults for any one group. At least one supervisor must be age 21 or older ....

Snorkeling Safety

1. Qualified Supervision

All swimming activity, including snorkeling, must be supervised by a mature and conscientious adult age 21 or older ....

Safety Afloat

1. Qualified Supervision

All activity afloat must be supervised by a mature and conscientious adult age 21 ....

Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings

1. Two-deep leadership:

Two registered adult leaders, or one registered leader and a parent of a participating Scout or other adult, one of whom must be at least 21 years of age or older....Coed overnight activities, even those including parent and child, require male and female adult leaders, both of whom must be 21 years of age or older, and one of whom must be a registered member of the BSA.

An 18 year old female would be considered a youth in the eyes of the OA and wrt Venture Crews. She would be viewed as an adult in the eyes of the Boy Scouts.

The OA has no restrictions on gender, only that youth members obtain at least a 1st Class rank.

The age gap is roughly 5 years, other then her brother, who is 2 years younger. As DG98 suggested, they do listen much, much better when she is speaking to the group, and I know the other ASM's appreciate her efforts to help out. She has been a Troop Guide at CAmporees, and has made several presentations that related to her Bronze medal. They are her unit when she needs to do some teaching, but it's changing.

Having an 18 year old female ASM is certainly not against the rules.

Regarding OA eligibility, as I understand the requirements she simply could not be put on the ballot with other youth members. She could later be nominated by the troop committe as an adult candidate where the rank requirement does not apply. I personally have never had to deal with the question of someone between 18 and 21, of either gender, regarding OA eligibility. Regardless of gender, I would consult with the OA lodge advisor.

As I understand membership (and this is not from any hard source...)

She may be:

- An Assistant Den Leader in Cub Scouting

- An Assistant Cubmaster in Cub Scouting

- An Assistant Scoutmaster in Boy Scouting

- A Merit Badge Counselor in Boy Scouting

She may not be:

- A Program Officer (DL, CM, or SM) in Cub or Boy Scouting

- A Member of Committee in any Scouting program

- A Member of a District Committee, Commissioner's Service, Council Committee or Council Executive Board (except when her position ex officio places her there (VOA President and such)

She is a YOUTH MEMBER for purposes of:

- Membership in Venturing

- Membership in the Order of the Arrow ... but, since she cannot attain the rank of First Class (she cannot participate as a youth member in Boy Scouting), she cannot stand for membership.

Oh ... and even though YP trained, she needs an over-21 YP trained for purposes of YP support.

Is that clear as mud? If so, you're doing better than I.