Quit gluing that Handbook back together

My son's BS Handbook was a shambles, with the binding failing, pages coming out and taped/glued back in -- just beat up after lots of hard use.

I was in Kinko's to get an advancement chart laminated, and saw their binding services. We took his book in there, and for $7, they put a spiral binding on it with clear hard plastic cover sheets that made it look like new. And, the book lays open flat now so you have two free hands when tying knots, instructing, whatever.

I know BSA sells spiral bound handbooks now, but if yours is older, and you thought your only option was to get a new one and transfer all the information, think about the Kinko's option (no commercial endorsement intended)...

KS

We had done this for years for our SPL. We'd by him a new Fieldbook and have this done.

Usually this is a book they don't have and its done up nicely. I know of another troop that had done the Jr Leader Handbook this way, but now the new SPL book (I think) is spiraled.

I like the idea of the handbook though. Thanks for posting it.

That's a GREAT idea!

My son's book is in pretty good shape because we've always had it in a cover and he DOES take it everywhere - but we have some boys in the troop who have only had their books for a year or two and they are almost destroyed.

I really like the covers because they can keep a pen and some paper (badge cards, etc) stored in the flap - a cover protects the page edges, too - which a spiral won't. but some people just don't like covers. No matter how much I encourage them to get covers from the start - some people are really resistant.

I don't know the prices off the top of my head - but I'd be willing to bet that a cover is cheaper than a new book -

and that having an old book 'bound' like this is also cheaper than buying a new book

I wouldn't be surprised if taking a brand new, regular book and having it bound that way, right away, is cheaper than buying the new BSA issued spiral bound books - aren't they about $20?

It just goes to show what a little 'outside the box' thinking can do....

way to go!

The covers are okay, but they do nothing to extend the life of the binding -- if we're depending on the covers to keep the pages in the book, the cover's not the problem. The Kinko's option works out to 15 bucks including the cost of the book -- $5 less than buying it bound through BSA. I'm not trying to take business away from the Scout store, but for those with a filled-in book and faced with transcribing all that information into a new one, the choice is obvious.

You can create a storage pocket without a cover by sticking one of those adhesive transparent floppy disk sleeves inside one of the handbook covers. Holds blue cards, phone rosters, etc., and you can still see through it if you take the stuff out of it.

KS

We've tried the other stuff but spiralbinding is a great idea! Now,any ideas on how to make them waterproof? We've tried Tupperware and zip locks but the boys seem to be able to defeat these. Pellican (sp?) cases are too expensive.

CaptainRon:

We're on Oahu. Even after the novelty wears off, it's a wonderful place to live, even if it's only for three years. Some things are ridiculously expensive (real estate and gasoline, for example), but others are remarkably cheap (shave ice and plate lunches) or free (mangoes, papayas, coconuts, lychees). Everybody's easygoing except the tourists and the newcomers, and although central Honolulu is crowded, just ten minutes out of town you're either in pineapple plantations or a valley they could have filmed a jungle movie in.

First time living here, but we've been coming for business/vacation on and off for ten years.

Great council camp in Pupukea, and they offer a good deal to out-of-council Troops who want to attend summer camp here.

KS