Re: Pursuing Happiness

I think that I'd really liked to meet the old fellow.

He has always struck me as being a fascinating character.

Re: This pursuit of happiness.

Every now and then I think it's worth while taking time out to take stock of what makes me happy and what causes me to not be happy.

Last time I checked I came to the conclusion that for the most part I'm doing OK and am a happy little fellow.

This being happy doesn't always happen by accident, it takes thought, planning and a positive attitude.

It is kinda easy to stand up and say that things don't make me happy.

So while maybe? I'm very happy on a warm sunny day taking my dogs out for a run.

The truth is that I need to be dressed to do this and the dogs need to be cared for.

All this costs money and once you start along that path all sorts of things jump out at you.

I need money so I need a job.

I need to be able to get to my job.

I have to work with other people.

The list goes on and some of the things on the list can cause me to be either unhappy or help make me happy.

Where we find what makes us happy is very much a personal thing.

Have to admit to having never spent a great deal of time thinking about it, but I kinda think that some how some way it's tied into the value system that each of us has deep inside of us.

There are times when others and what they do or don't do really has an effect on my happiness.

Knowing this and being able to accept it does help when it comes the time to deal with it. - A lot of the time being prepared for when things go wrong can make the world of difference.

I'm not exactly sure how it all works? But maybe we need times of not being happy so as to be able to appreciate what makes us happy and being happy.

Sometimes just this appreciation helps to serve making us less unhappy?

Have to admit that I don't spend a lot of time working on this pursuit of happiness.

I kinda expect and hope that all the pieces will fall into place.

Very often it's only when things aren't working that I take the time to react and make the needed changes. - Then again there are times when the fear of change keeps me from taking a step that might make me more happy.

Fear is the biggest road block that prevents people from being happy.

Freedom of fear goes a long way in helping people be happy.

Ea.

Constitution? Who cares about some old piece of paper a bunch of old farts wrote?

Pursuit of happiness? Doesn't that mean I'm entitled to free cable TV and internet? Oh and I want one of those free cell phones too.

I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. B. Franklin

Or this which relates to another current thread:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. B. Franklin

"Of all the millions of words written on happiness, this is the oldest and most enduring truth. If the principles of contentment are not within us, no material success, no pleasures or possessions, can make us happy." Lillian Eichler Watson