Maryland in the house!

I just enrolled both of my kids in the Scouts; my daughter will be a Cadette and my son is a Bear-level Cub scout. I'm one of the 2 webmasters for my son's pack. I'm also graduating this Dec with my BS in AIT from University of Baltimore. I have my AS in Accounting.

My only concern thus far was hoping that the Scouts won't conflict with our religious beliefs. Our religion dictates that we remain completely neutral with regards to politics. For example, we do not pledge to the flag, but we aren't anarchist. So far, so good.

Looking forward to posting on the boards.

J

Welcome, Queenj!!!!!

Scouting is respectful of varying religious faiths, but individual Scouters aren't always clear on how to show that respect and balance it with BSA traditions and expectations. My suggestion is that you discuss your concerns with your Den and Pack Leaders, so that everyone can understand how your son will act and how others will act. A slight modification made need to be made in a few requirements but it's not a big deal. However, proactive chats often save everyone from hurt feelings later on. It may be important, and easier on all the boys, to have the Bear Den understand why your son doesn't say the pledge. It could be a great opportunity for the DL to introduce the Religious Awards Programs to the Bears, if they're not already aware.

I can't speak to the GSA, but my guess would be that similar truths hold there, as well.

Again, Welcome!!!!!!

jd

thanks jd

I did have a talk with the current cubmaster and he understood completely. He said that *if* anything is a problem, it would be that the other cub scouts may not understand but they won't disrespect his beliefs.

I had a look thru the bear book and fortunately it give a lot of choices in the various Achievement sections. I can't wait for my son to get his Bear patch. He will have his Bobcat patch at the end of the month! :)

J