Charles Atlas and Scouting

According to this article in the Smithsonian Magazine, Charles Atlas was an "active promoter" of Scouting:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/50727752.html

But that's all it says -- does anyone know anything more about Charles Atlas and his relationship to Scouting? It would be nice if BSA could find a spokesperson today that has the appeal that Atlas had in his day . . .

In today's overly paparazzi-ized society it's hard to find anyone with the appeal whose personal flaws aren't or wouldn't be exposed.

I was thinking Terry Bollea "Hulk Hogan" but then my own comment above hit...

Wasn't Atlas a regular advertiser in Boys' Life back in the day?

Maybe that had something to do with his promotion of the organization.

Celebrity spokespeople aren't going to cure what ails us from a membership point of view.

Not to change the subject, but membership just got mentioned and that is a buzzword for me. I beleive our current "membership woes" are a result of the overinflation of membership stats in years past. I honestly believe that the current stats are 99.9% more accurate than in the past. I bet that IF we keep to the traditional outdoor program, we will grow. Heck I bet we have grown, albeit not as great as has been reported in the past, because the membership stats have been so far off.

As for Atlas and Scouting. I do believe he did advertise in BL.(This message has been edited by eagle92)