Anybody Remember the 1969 Jamboree?

With all the hype about 40th anniversary of the first lunar landing and the upcoming 100th anniversary Jamboree, I keep being reminded of things that happened at the Jambo 40 years ago.

The most significant thing, of course, was the landing on the moon. It occurred at mid day in Idaho. There were 35,000 or so Scouts and others on the site and nothing could be heard for half an hour except the sound of small radios listening to the narration of the landing. When Aldrin said, "Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed" there was the biggest cheer I've ever heard, from all over the site. Every attendee had been given a small American flag and the were waving all over the place.

I also recall that an airliner, a 4 engine prop plane from one of the major airlines buzzed the lake, lifted up to the Jamboree camping site and flew over at an altitude of several hundred feet at most.

That was also the dustiest place I've ever been. All those feet wore away whatever grass may have been there in a day or two and the inch or two of soil over the rocks was in everybody's eyes and noses.

If the 2010 Jamboree is half as memorable, I'll be forever grateful.

Kahuna, though I was too young to attend, I appreciate you sharing the memories. We could benefit here from more of these great scouting stories. The debates are productive, but the details you shared are what scouting is all about.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

Thank you desertrat77. There's not much incentive to post stuff like this when you get one response in a thread. If I had posted under Uniform that we should have a military dress uniform with a sword and leather cross belt, there would be 200 posts on it by now. :)

Only if you are into SCA, reenacting, or have a CS theme that includes swords, should a sword be worn.

Sorry I couldn't resist.;)

In all seriousness I do hope the 2010 Jambo will be awesome.

Kahuna,

I was there also. But, I don't remember a thing about the Apollo landing. I guess I must have been busy doing something! And I don't remember any radios, either - I suppose our SM didn't allow them.

And, I'd much rather have that dry climate than the sticky heat of Virgina! I haven't yet decided whether I will be on staff again in 2010. Are you?

Trevorum,

I just have always had a problem with dust. Another tidbit of history from that Jambo was that boys and leaders were sent to the hospital with what they called "dustmonia," and inflammation of the respiratory system. Fortunately, one of the boys in my troop had brought a nasal spray and that saved me from a lot of misery.

I am going to brave the humidity of Virginia, although being from Florida, I'm probably more used to it. I'll be staffing Stamp Collecting on the MB midway. So, not too much physical work in the heat. :)

It is hard to believe the moon walk was 40 years ago today. I was 18 years old and working in one of the trading posts selling cameras and film. I must have gotten off duty just in time to go to a nearby staff tent that had a small black and white TV set showing the astronauts on the moon. There I was in the middle of a huge field, surrounded by mountains, and I was watching someone walk on the moon. As I recall, the theme of the jamboree was Frontiers of Tomorrow. (Edit: I just looked it up. The Theme was "Building to Serve.") One of the stage shows featured the Up With People singing group. There were a couple of astronauts there, too. I also remember that Mrs. Baden-Powell attended this jamboree. Somewhere in my house I have a box full of souvenirs including many of the daily newspapers. It was a wonderful event!(This message has been edited by aquila calva)

I remember Up With People. I also remember astronaut Frank Borman showed some film of the first steps on the moon at an arena show.

There was a TV in the visitors area and I went over there to see if I could watch the moon walk, but it was taking forever and, as I recall, it was during our dinner period, so I had to get back to camp to eat.