Old Photo: Identity?

About 30 years ago, I rescued this pic from a council office attic clean out. Looks like it may have been a PR photo. The era is fairly obvious from the quality of the photo and the uniforms of the men. There's a stamp on the back that says Department of Camping, L.L. McDonald, Director. I know McDonald was director in 1922, but that's about all I know about him.

Anybody have a clue as to who, where or what? Initially, I thought the guy on the left might be James West, but I really don't think it is he.

Here's the link: http://www.geocities.com/kahuna4646/scan0004.jpg

L.L. McDonald was on the National Camp Committee as its secretary in 1921. By 1931 he was the Director of Camping and is not listed in that area after 1937 (possibly he retired).

With regard to the uniforms: Most men are wearing the high crown stetson, which was produced from 1910 - 1920. However, there are also some wearing the "new" low-crown, which was produced from 1921 - 1932. However, there were two versions of the brown silk headband. I do not see the FDL on them, so the hatband places the photo no later than 1927. But, since I do not have the right info in my archive to determine the date of LL McDonald's promotion to Director of Camping, the picture does date between 1921 - 1927.

As for the man, I tend to disagree for two reasons. First the facial characteristics does not appear to be exactly correct, and second, the hair part on this is on the wrong side from the way that West very dictinctly parted his hair. So, I would angle towards it NOT being James E. West...but a close looker nonetheless.

David C. Scott

Yeah, I tend to agree with David. West parted his hair on the right. The guy in the picture parted his on the left. Another argument against is that the man in the picture is actually smiling. West apparently never did. :)

The Official Report of the Second Biennial Conference of Scout Executives (1922) shows that McDonald was Director of Camping, btw.

"If there is I haven't found it. I have 'em through the 11th in 1959."

There was a 12th National Training Conference in 1963. No idea if they produced a Principle Addresses book. I do have the other reports they put out.

No idea if there that was the last of these events, but suspect so.