"American Parade" by George Sheridan Knowles

Does anyone know anything about this painting? You can see a sample here:

http://www.picassomio.com/poster/a5979,i1363668/en/

http://tinyurl.com/zw7p4

It looks like three Boy Scouts are carrying flags in a parade of kids and dogs. The title says "1917" and given the style of the uniforms, I assume that's when Knowles painted it.

I'm thinking about buying a copy but before I plunk down my $$ I wanted to confirm with others that those are indeed Boy Scouts.

Does anyone own a print or poster of this painting?

YiS,

Fred Goodwin

Knowles, an English artist, painted during the early part of the 20th century. This picture, not confirmed by a rapid search from misplaced boxes in the attic nor from a faulty memory, as being a BL cover but it looks like it could have been. Although a beautiful picture, the WWI English BS uniforms worn might not have been acceptable by J. West, known for his control over such things. I will also say that the patrol colors on the right shoulder, too small for accurate identification, may belong to the Bear patrol, as it should be and as I am prone to point out. Others in the Forum may have much better information.

The blending of the American flags with English things is confusing but historical accuracy may not have been the intent. Since these are children and dogs on parade, the point may be that children are less discriminating and highly excitable. Lastly, it may be that there was great excitement about America entering the war and that it was seen by all as being remarkable. America had ended its' self imposed isolation to begin the great crusade against the Hun. A war that had dragged on too long with the usual cruelty, staggering death tolls and new barbarisms was about to end. Hope abounded.

FB