bsa oath or promise

Hi Buddy,

In response to your inquiry as to the history of the BSA Oath, let me give you a brief background.

When Baden-Powell issued his SCOUTING FOR BOYS back in January 1908, the Scout Oath was as follows:

On my honour I promise that

1. I will do my duty to God and King.

2. I will do my best to help others, whatever it costs me.

3. I know the scout law, and will obey it.

However, in 1911 after new Managing Secretary James E. West came aboard, he sought to completely Americanize the movement to fit American boys. Thereby, the newly re-incorporated BSA (October 1910) formed 4 committees to do it, which would be just before the first official HANDBOOK FOR BOYS went to press in June .The committee that applies here is the Committee on Standardization of the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Tenderfoot, Second-Class and First Class Scout Requirements. It was Chaired by former YMCA official, Prof. Jeremiah Jenks of Cornell University. The rest of the members were George D. Porter, Edgar M. Robinson, G. W. Hinckley, G. E. Johnson, Clark W. Hetherington, Arthur A. Carey, John L. Alexander and James E. West.

Originally there was a debate as to what the Scout Law should be called, and for a short time it was known as the Scout Vow. The first version of the Oath was as follows:

On my honor I will do my best:

1. To do my duty to God and my country;

2. To help other people at all times;

3. To obey the Scout Vow.

By mid-April 1911, vow was changed back to law. On May 3rd, the Oath had been modified to:

On my honour I will do my best:

1. To do my duty to God and my country:

3. To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, morally straight and obey the Scout Laws.

On May 6th, the final report by the Committee on Standardization was issued and the Scout Oath as we know it was adopted:

On my honor I will do my best:

1. To do my duty to God and my country, and to obey the scout law;

3. To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

Hope this helps,

David C. Scott

Note that at one time, the so-called "Points" of the Promise were actually numbered. In the rest of the world, these "Three Points" of the Scout Promise, are literally the three numbered points, for instance :

1) To do my duty to God and the Queen;

2) To help other people at all times;

3) To obey the Scout Law.

Because the BSA added "physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight" to their Oath, it became necessary for them to combine "To obey the Scout Law" with the first point, and then substitute abstract general categories for the Three Points of the Oath:

1) Duty to God and country;

2) Duty to other people; and

3) Duty to self.

These are not the same "Three Points."

Kudu