Venture crew going to NYLT (female venturers)

A slightly different take on this - part of the basic principle of NYLT (at least as our council does it) is that scouts from different troops are separated when they arrive and assigned to different NYLT troops. Our council runs four weeks of NYLT with three troops per week. This wouldn't be possible with female participants so, at least in our council, female venturers wouldn't be able to attend.

Unless, of course, you have enough interest from female venturers to form an entire troop of women from different crews - unlikely in our council, don't know about yours.

Vicki (NYLT SM)

• 2 weeks later...

Kahits-- just out of curiosity, where are you located?

I'm an ASM with a troop, as well as a Crew Advisor. I was hoping to take several of my scouts (who happen to be boys with special needs) to NYLT this summer. I want to encourage the Crew to do something similar. This discussion leads me to believe that taking the Crew to NYLT isn't the answer. I plan to bring this up at the next Roundtable, in hopes of getting other Crews to combine resources... if we can't pull together to offer Kodiak, perhaps we can look into neighboring Councils?

"NewCrewTwo"- Have your Venturers gone thru VLSC (Venturing Leadership Skills Course)?

Some things to keep in mind with Kodiak. Kodiak is designed to be an add-on to a week-long (ideally) or two-weekend trip/activity. It has been done as part of week-long Venturing camps, so long as you are mindful of how Kodiak is to be presented (ie, its NOT presented in a classroom setting with powerpoint or flipcharts). Kodiak 'sessions' take up about 2 hours total per day.

You really really really want whoever runs your Kodiak course and prepares the training staff have themselves either gone to a Kodiak Course Director Course (these are given at the Regional level, and am now seeing this done by some councils) OR have participated on a Kodiak course themselves. I do NOT recommend just picking up the syllabus and trying to present it without this experience.

There is a Kodiak website: http://www.kodiak-bsa.org/ as well as a discussion forum on Yahoo Groups.

My opinion and the prevailing opinion in our council is, no venturers at NYLT. This is not an appropiate course. It is solely designed for a Boy Scout troop.

Let the Venturers go to Venturing courses.