Venturers Coed Rank Earning

GW

Maybe you should start your own scout group and call it the Golden Wingies, and use your own crazy program. After all you seem to think you know more than Baden Powell, Dan Beard, and Bill Hillcourt et al combined. Your emblem could be a pair of golden wings going up in smoke much like your program would. Either get in line with the current program or start your own, you can't have it both ways. And for pete sake keep your erroneous nonsense to yourself. Gee, I just lowered myself to Wingies level, Mea Culpea.

I bet if we polled some boy scouts, especially New Scout Patrol kids, they'd want their parents to cook for them and plan outings. But adult run isn't a method in Boy Scouting, so yeh don't do it, eh?

Now what would you think if those same boys wanted their parents to plan & run fun outings, but only for the blond boys in the troop, or the "in" clique? Yeh'd also say "no", because we're Loyal to each other and we do things together as a troop.

Same with a crew. Crews don't do advancement as a program feature because it's not a method in Venturing. Crews don't do Boy Scout advancement as a program feature because not everybody can participate, and because the challenges often aren't age-appropriate.

Most importantly, crews don't do that stuff because the boys care about what the girls think :).

Follow da program. There's good reasons for it.

Beavah

The Crew whom I serve got started with a bunch of Eagle scouts and Gold Awardee Girls Scouts. The kids had been pursuing goals for so long, they just wanted to "do stuff" and not requirements. So, that is what we did. Backpacking, WHite Water in Maine, etc. They used their skills, but didnt worry about accomplishing recognitions in Venturing (as there arent really ranks). One of the initial members was selected the Northeast Region Venturing President and ultimately was not selected as National President because she didnt even have a Bronze! Had we known, maybe she would have had one, but since advancement isn't a method... or well, now I am just whinning)

Anyway, another Crew in Town has multiple Ranger recipients. This group of Scouts and never been scouts is very goal oriented. Actually, if you look at it, us and them are both following the program. We do the activities the youth select, plan and carry out. WoW, flexibile programming who knew?

Challenges in advancement? Serving in a leadership position? That can be challenging but that's part of Venturing. If crew is going biking and someone says, "Hey, we can do the biking merit badge while we're at it" there's nothing wrong with that, especially since there is no rule prohibiting it.

Now if the crew is focused on Shakespearean comedy production, they probably won't do any biking but there's nothing wrong with that.