Where do you plan to hold your training and how long are you planning to be there?

How many adults do you have lined up to help?

Which part or parts are you talking about specifically? Do you find them boring or are you looking to add more meaning to what they learn?

Do you have access to electronics during the training?

Here are some ideas.

* put it on at your local scout camp, doing it as a retreat.

* get youth to teach all the sessions, not adults. The youth should have gone thru VLSC.

* extend your VLSC, using low cope or iniative games to build teamwork in your youth.

* are you doing this for your crew? Consider opening it up to other crews in your district/council.

purceIce - how old is your crew, and have you done this before?

Emb - when dealing with a young crew that has not gone through VLSC before, would you find it acceptable for the youth to choose an area most interesting to them, learn it, then present it to the rest of the crew at vlsc? Or do you think it would be better to find a crew who has experience with VLSC and and see if they can jump in with them?

Thanks

I have found when doing the VLSC the bigger the group the better dynamics that occur and much better if you can get multiple Crews to attend such as would be the case at District or Council events. SOme of the group activities work so much better with lots of people and even better when they dont know each other. Having said that, I dont mean a Crew couldnt do a great job themselves, I just think having moer than one crew is a better approach.

"Emb - when dealing with a young crew that has not gone through VLSC before, would you find it acceptable for the youth to choose an area most interesting to them, learn it, then present it to the rest of the crew at vlsc? Or do you think it would be better to find a crew who has experience with VLSC and and see if they can jump in with them? "

In some areas, this is why districts/councils do VLSC, because many crews are too small or are too new to have gone thru it.

Personally, these are my preferences in terms of trainers.

1. Youth trainers who have themselves gone thru VLSC

2. Adult trainers

3. Youth trainers who have not themselves gone thru VLSC

Why do I say that? Because I feel that youth need to experience VLSC as a participant before being a trainer. Most youth don't have a lot of experience as presenters/trainers, and giving a session 'cold' (ie, never seeing it/experiences it) is much harder for a youth then an adult.

Since your crew is so smaller, I would recommend you either get with another crew who have gone thru VLSC, or see if you can get some of your youth to join another district/council's VLSC.

I have never done anything with VLSC.

So at the risk of being completely out of order.

Take a look at

http://www.pbs.org/previews/roadtrip/

Roadtrip Nation would it seem fit into the area of goal setting.

The DVD is on sale for about $45.00.

As I say I don't know how or if it might fit in, but if you have the same group as you have had maybe something new might work?

Eamonn

The council adjacent to ours has a district solely for Venturing, whereas, we are one of the only crews in our council. I asked about their program and if they had a district run VLSC or would be interested in having us jump in with one of their more experienced crews. They have provided a goodly amount of information, and passed my name on to their coordinator to further this along.

In our situation, being only 6 months old, this may provide the greatest benefit for the crew. Just a thought about looking outside the "box", as our inexperience may provide some challenge and interest to a more experienced crew.

Have a great time!