Ahoy - Sea Scout Ship is ready for action

We held our "First Nighter" yesterday, OK so it was at 2:30 in the afternoon!!

We have 3 adult leaders and eight Sea Scouts, along with the makings of a strong committee.

We have a full program up until March.

Quarterdeck Training starts next week.

I'm blown away by the enthusiasm that some of the Scouts have.

Now I need to find a few boats!!

Eamonn

Being that you are just starting out, and training of both the youth and adults is needed, what better way than to know the basic then to build your own boat,there are several plans for dories,or canoes and or other small sailing boats which could be built in a few weeks, what pride they could have in building their own. What knowledge they could learn from doing so. Starting out with the basics and building up from there is a great way to learn.(Great way to get into the local news about the program) The skills learn can only build a better keel for your program. Building a surf board, or a curran , great way to have fun and by the time spring comes along the boats are ready for the water. Asking for old outboards to have them learn about engines in rebuilding them. When I was a youth, we sewn our own sails, white wash then,etc...made our own nets, caught fish for fundraisers which we did as fish frys, Dug clams, made eel traps,crab pods had a great time doing, learn alot, eat well, had a great deal of fun! Some ships starting off made pond sailer, to learn the basics, other have used remote control boats for learning/training.( also another great recruiting tool, which can be done indoors).

For the time being, see about using the Council canoes from camp. Or check with the Service on life rafts.

St. Brendan be with you, fair seas

I have been involved with starting new units at the district level for a very long time. I really have to admit that starting one for myself has given me a much deeper understanding.

I tend to be like a bull in a china shop!Once I get an idea I want everything to happen yesterday and it seems that everything and everyone moves in slow motion.

There is so much to do and so much that could be done, trying to stay focused is hard.

At this time we are the only Sea Scout Ship in our council, in fact as far as I know we are the first in our council. This of course means that there isn't a go to person locally. The Region has been wonderful, they put me in contact with a super guy who knows a lot about Sea Scouting and has been a Skipper. He acts very much like a Unit Commissioner. The bad thing is that he is in Maryland and I'm in Pennsylvania. I'm driving him nuts with e-mails!!

I would love to look into buying boat kits and the like but at this time we only have $150.00 to our name, the money that the Elks gave us to get started. We discussed fund raising at the meeting on Sunday, but only eight youth members it will take some time to raise a significant amount. We do have some ideas which I'm trying to delegate out to the people who have agreed to sit on the committee. However right now this taking them by the hand and guiding them.

Talking to people in other Ships and in Councils that are near large lakes , rivers and the sea, I turn green with envy when they tell me that they are turning down donations of boats and old outboards. We are not near the water so people just don't have the stuff to donate. I have asked them to keep an eye out and let me know if anything comes along that we might use, needless to say if it's any way good they will keep it for themselves and I can't blame them.

Holding the interest of the Scouts over the winter is going to be hard. We have what I think is an interesting list of activities that will get us through the winter, I need to really work on the meetings and make sure that they don't become a drag.

I'm sure we will get there, but it isn't going to be as quick or as easy as I would like.

Eamonn.

Ahoy Eamonn,

heck, you can sail canoes if you need to!

If building is not your forte (and I would NEVER get into a boat I built...at least not on water)...

Keep your ear to the ground and eyes open. There are boats out there...Our troop launched our "not so new" 1968 Hawk two weeks ago during of all things, our September flatwater canoe training weekend! It was great!

We of course are not Sea Scouts...just a really warped group of "Regular" Boy Scouts (water spaniels?) with even more warped group of Scouters...

Our troop was approached by a local engineer who had purchased a beat-up 16 foot sail boat ...for you know, "when he had time to recondition it"....

After a few years of watching the boat sitting in his backyard, turning green under a leaky tarp, he decided to offer it to our troop. (Interestingly enough, he had seen our troop canoe carrier loaded with eight bright red boats, tooling back and forth, (following our bright red troop trailer to outings) on the towns main drag many times over the last two years and he decided since we liked water... what the heck...we might want a "free" sail boat..."ADVERTIZING" pays!)

The little boat needed a major patch on the bow bilge area, some fiber glass sealing on the centerboard/keel area and new lines, a rudder( he had purchased a new rudder and never installed it), sails were "well patched" but usable, the gelcoat was and is still a mess and the anti-slip deck surfaces needed help. The hull needed lots of fairing work but it is coming along nicely...The trailer needed two new tires and new lights(still not sure on the wheel bearings)...We still have a bunch of work to do (cosmetic) but what a team project and troop asset! ( It also gave me an excuse to get the hugh, space eating "garage tarp" out of our trailer... so that we could have a place to work on the boat. )

And what a funny picture, the Hawk with the Sails hoisted, three green kayaks and a gaggle of bright red canoes following it out of the cove like little ducklings!

Keep pounding the net and inquiring at boat yards and dealers...you can do it! Old tired boats are out there waiting for someone to re-energize them (and this is a good time to find them).

(oh yes, the engineer even donated $250.00 for hull paint!)...yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause!

Some days it does pay to get out of bed!

good luck and steady breezes

anarchist

(not a sailor but ballast for the boat)(This message has been edited by anarchist)