Eagle Scout Kits

One of my friends called me and asked me a question on the Eagle Scout presentation kit. Inside the kit there is a mothers pin, fathers tie tack the Eagle Scout device, Eagle Scout cloth badge and a gold mentor pin. Does anyone know about this. This is a new one to me.

Dancin

Dancin:

Are you asking where the Mentor pin came from? This is a fairly recent addition to the package.

I don't know the official reason, but it was put forth at a district meeting that it's purpose is to recognize that there are a lot of scouts who are from 'non-traditional' families, and that sometimes it is not 'mom' or 'dad' who is the one that helps the scout the most. It might be step-dad, it might be mom's boyfriend, and it might be step-mom or dad's girlfriend.

In that situation, especially when mom and dad are there with that significant other, the scout is in an uncomfortable position. Does he give the dad pin to natural dad ... or step-dad (who was the one who helped). Does he give the mom pin to natural mom ... or step-mom ... same reasoning?

The mentor pin gives the way out. Mom pin to mom, dad pin to dad, mentor pin to the one who helped. If the situation doesn't apply, the mentor pin can go to a scoutmaster, committee member, advancement chair, favored uncle, or in the case of my son, an older Eagle scout who showed him the way and kept saying 'you can do this too'.

Maybe someone knows more officially and can answer better.

Scouter

-edit-Please give me spell check!(This message has been edited by MTDScouter)