"new" to Ventures program

btps (and how do you pronounce that by the way)

Check out the Venturing Electronic Magazine and look for the 'lessons learned'

A good place to start - and keep talking to people!

And wish that I had a magic wand for those lines of communication!

bufflo2, People who know me just call me BT, I went to school with 2 indivuals who had the same name as I did. So, it was easier to call me by a nickname.

This weekend is there "first" camping trip as a crew or (croo).

OutdoorThinker

We sa coed crew or (croo). We where to go caving but the cave was flooded but we still went "camping" at the councils bsa camp. Great weekend. There where two aldults presnt for all of the trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to cover the basics... if I understood you to say you are a coed crew: to avoid those kinds of problems you need to have a female adult (over 21) present at the outings, not just the YPG required two leaders. And have scouting buddy pairs assigned as 3 kids not 2, which will help avoid the possibility of hanky panky. Another basic is to have read and carry a copy of the Guide to Safe Scouting, and follow the rules there for high adventure outings the "young adults" plan. With caving it could be more dangerous than you think and you might be in violation of the rules and not know it. In which cas BSA won't cover your insurance and you could be the first name on the $10 million lawsuit. My other last advice is that it is the "young adults" crew (croo? did I miss something there?) not the Advisor's and they need to learn how to plan and manage the activities with a minimum of help from you. You are there mostly to keep them safe in the activities. Make sure they plan something everybody will have fun doing... the caving might be too hard and scary for some of the kids and they might just quit later leaving you with no apparent reason.

KA6BSA

Thank you for your advice.

This post is four (44) weeks old now. The crew or Croo did not go caving because the weather. The cave was flooded. There were two adults or advisers, one male and one female. Croo is sounds the same way as crew.

Sorry the flooded cave ruined your adventure but glad you were not down in the hole when the water came in! One male and one female is good, and make sure they get some Venturing training and set a good example... no holding hands unless you are about to drop off a high cliff!