A district without a committee

Moosetracker - there have been some combined district activities. But consider this; there should be no need to have to combine in order to have activities. Combining means that the districts are too small. They should be combined. There should be no reason to have to have additional professional staff on the payroll if there are not enough units to make a functioning district. It is nothing but a waste of money. It's time to cut back so monies can be put back into the program for the kids rather into the pocketbooks of additional professionals that are not needed at this time.

Ahhh but that's the politics of the situation. Council says they cannot hire more than 8 to 10 adults to be on the summer camp staff to counsel merit badges (merit badge counselors must be 18 years or older). So instead they hire 15 and 16 year olds to do the actual merit badge counseling while having an adult area director sign off all the blue card at the end of the week whether the adult actually worked with the Scouts or not. But council does have money to hire additional professional staff to work 9 little districts instead of the 5 average size workable districts they had a few years ago.

Oh moosetracker, there is so much going on here in my council that would take up too much time to write about, but thanks for your input.

Abel

Oh, I believe it.. I've got heartaches of my own..

But that is why I said it would be best for you to combine.. Yep, I understand where you are coming from.

I was just offering a suggestion, on if they don't combine you.. How maybe you could still give the boys a decent program.

Yes, what may be obvious to us, is not obvious to the powers on high.. WHY? Who knows what lurks in the minds of the "Good ole Boys"!!! (It sounded like a perfect opportunity to combine without having to fire a DE, if you were without a DE for a while.. But, who knows what money they are collecting from what statistic they have of umpteen Districts on the map.. Or whatever else they see that we don't see.)

7. The members of the nominating committee will be identified to the district Scouters between 60 and 30 days prior to the annual district committee meeting so that suggestions may be given to them for consideration. (This information may be included in one formal notice of the annual meeting.)

The above comes from district nomination committee worksheet. Here is a question for interpretation. I can see how this could be interpreted several ways.

Concerning "district Scouters"

Are district Scouters defined as only the district officers, district members at large and COR's

or

Are district Scouters defined as all registered adult scouters in the district.

The written policy is not specific for just those district committee members, district members at large, and district officers who are eligible to vote; it simply states all district Scouters.

If it is interpreted as the first definition, then the district nominations are only open to the current committee. This could lead to the district being run by the same clique year after year. If it is interpreted as all volunteer leaders in the district, it would open the nomination process to the entire district.

Thoughts on this?

(This message has been edited by abel magwitch)