Council Lost Adult Training Records 5 Times in 8 Years --> Incompetance?

The term "Whistle blower" suggests he is somehow the first person who knew of the problem, or that it was some sort of secret. He isn't, and it isn't.

Ok, whistle blower is too strong a term. How about Responsible Consumer expecting he receive the goods for which he paid?

What I was showing was the proportionate importance or seriousness of the two problems and how the office staff has fortunately chosen to be far less condemning in their words and actions with dluders then dluders (and others) have chosen to be with them.

Two separate issues not related. I expect a specific level of response when I pay for a service. I pay dues to BSA and they stated they would maintain a database of training records. I dont care if it is difficult, or time consuming, or full of problems. They said they would perform that task and they have not. I should expect them to meet their own stated objectives. Maybe I can overlook a simple mistake once or twice but not 5 times and particularly when they have had almost a decade to resolve the problem.

Volunteers should be encouraged to perform to their very best and to follow the rules set forth for the task. If the volunteer cannot meet the goals of the organization, then the organization should provide additional training, redirect the volunteer to a position better suited to the volunteers strengths, or ask the volunteer to find another organization that needs help. If dluders is as bad as you say he and his unit are, then the local office should be investigating the unit. They should be holding him and the other unit leaders to specific standards. Hey, the sounds just like what we should be doing for the local office, holding them to specific standards.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Responsible Consumer"

Consumer perhaps, but I do not know that you have enough information or determine if he is a responsible one or not.

"Two separate issues not related."

I totally disagree, it was dluders who began the conversation on incompetence and what constitutes it. I think considering the competency of both the accusser and the accused is relevant.

As is evaluating the actual importance of each offense.

Volunteers are encouraged to do their best, as are paid employees. I just found it interesting that when presented the question of competency of the parties involved that some posters seem far more comfortable insulting the office staff for not doing a minor part of their job then they are addressing volunteer for not doing a major part of his.

Volunteers outnumber professionals about 1000 to 1 and certainly have far more direct influence on the program, and yet some of the the 1000 seem far more at home criticizing the the 1, then the 1 is incriticizing any of the 1000.

It's seems more a less a blood sport with some volunteers, we are very quick to sling arrows at the office but will hang on to all kinds of excuses for our own failures in the unit.

If this happened once or twice I probably would write it off to a glitch but the fact it is a continual problem leads to an internal problem at the council level. However all leaders are also responsible for maintaining their own records. Personally I do not like the computerized advancement report, redundant input and too many extra steps, but thats the way it is , no computer program is perfect. The leaders of my crew and I took our training in another council due to scheduling conflicts and the transfer of information proved to more difficult than it should have been. I took the paperwork of all our trainings into our council office, met with the proper people and got it done. Turns out the person who supposedly handled this was unable to figure out what to do so she just never bothered to record it or ask anyone for help, she was let go after the council executive received many complaints. The SE sent all unit leaders a letter of apology.

The main point is be responsible enough to keep your own records and check periodically with your council to make sure your unit and leader training records are up to date.

I stayed out of this as long as I could. Asking someone to repeatedly present the same paperwork, because for whatever reason it has been lost, is a real world definition of incompetence, on someone's part. After the second time, I would be asking if they had any sort of filing system for actual pieces of paper.

My training records were "unfindable," and the person who told me so implied that I had not been truthful. Come to find out, my name had been mis-spelled in our council's records but not National's. Mistakes are to be expected, and I don't mind helping to fix them. But five times in eight years? That's not a mistake and anyone would be acting appropriately to be frustrated and wanting answers as to when this situation was going to be finally corrected.