New Commissioner Positions

No sure where else to put this, as it deals with Regions and Areas.

In the Winter 2008 issue of "The Commissioner", two new commissioner positions were announced:

"New Regional/Area CommissionerPositions Approved

At Octobers meeting of the National Executive Board, positions for regional and area commissioners were approved. These two positions were created to support councils in the areas of membership, unit charter renewal, and training in support of commissioner service. They will assist in supervising the activities of commissioner service and preside at any area meetings where council commissioners are in attendance. They will support any council or joint-council commissioner training. They will encourage councils to provide immediate orientation for commissioners, frequent basic training, and monthly learning experiences for all commissioners. They will provide direction for councils to improve their unit-to-commissioner ratios, the conducting and tracking of their monthly unit visits, retention of youth and units, andprogress toward achieving Centennial Quality status."

I think this will give a little more push on the council commissioner to make sure the commissioner service is operating properly, well at least hopefully in my council.

I know I will sound a little harsh here, but I warned you:

My first impression is that these are great positions for people who want to wear gold tabs. I don't see how these positions will change the attitudes of Council Commissioners, either a Council Commissioner has a firm grasp on what needs to be done or they do not and having a big shot from the Region or Area come in to straighten him out is not a thought I want to contemplate. Now, all the Council Commissioners I have known have been pretty forthright guys who didnt need anyone to tell them their jobs, then again, my experience is a tiny part of the BSA experience so maybe its needed, I just dont see how adding to the upper echelon of scouting helps units

It will be interesting to see if this has any positive effects but I tend to agree with OGE on this. It is unlikeley that these new positions will lead to many face to face contacts with Council Commissioners or Scout professionals to help enhance Commissioner responsibilities. At best this is just new names on e-mails.

Regions are HUGE hunks of territory, and Areas are just really, really, really BIG hunks of territory. So there will be little hands-on help or personal contact to come from this change I would bet.

As I have posted in the past.

I really think that Commissioner Service is in such a sad state, that it is beyond repair.

As I write in my mind I'm seeing the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch.

Like OGE I like and have great respect for just about all the Council Commissioners I have met and had dealings with.

I have served on our Area Committee, the meetings are about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Every now and then a Council who is really failing will receive a smack on the wrist along with a provisional charter.

Area Vice-presidents do their best to get out and meet with Council Key 3's.

Seems to me that these VP's are already doing what has been described for these new Commissioners.

I really fail to see how these new positions will make a difference to the unit that doesn't have a Unit Commissioner.

The service is needed at the unit level, it isn't happening and it seems to me that everyone knows this and nothing is being done.

Eamonn.

• 2 months later...

I picked up several months ago that the Commissioner role(s) were going to be revised, changed, adjusted in the future. Got nothing further about it other that changes were coming. Thought it might be around 2010.

In the latest issue of "The Commissioner" all of the regional commissioners and all but a handful of area commissioners have been appointed. Here are some of the duties that they will have:

1. Provide support to all council commissioners in the areas of membership, unit charter renewal, and training of commissioners.

2. Supervise the activities of commissioner service and preside at any area meetings where council commissioners are in attendance. They provide support to council or joint council commissioner training courses.

3. Encourage communication between the area and council commissioners to ensure that councils provide opportunities for immediate orientation, frequent basic training, and monthly learning experiences for all commissioners.

4. Support councils in improving unittocommissioner ratios, monthly unit visits, retention of youth and units, and progress toward achieving Centennial Quality status.

5. Maintain the standards of the Boy Scouts of America and uphold all national policies.

6. Provide direction and support to council commissioners especially related to the membership validation process; unit charter renewal; conducting and tracking unit visits; counseling support related to how to handle particular situations; recruiting and training a full staff of commissioners; and supporting the annual commitment and achievement of the Centennial Quality Council Award.