New Chief Scout Executive; Opportunity?

Have just finished reading a bit about the new Chief Scout Executive, Robert Mazzuca, in SCOUTING magazine. A thought occurred to me (even heard the whirring noise) that now might be the time to write a letter to him about our thoughts on the program going forward, both good and not so good. If enough volunteers were to at least voice their opinions, positive and of concern, perhaps one or two might actually be taken under advisement. Then, of course, I may still be seeing the glass as half full and viewing it through those rosy lenses.

Just a thought.

Ahhh, grasshopper. Your lenses are rosy indeed.

What I took from the article is that he's been a BSA Pro for 36 years, rising through the ranks from DE. Ya don't stay with one company 36 years by going against the tide, eh?

I think it said he came through Eammon's neighborhood (SE in Pittsburgh) ...perhaps he can share some insight.

Robert Mazzuca did serve as SE for Greater Pittsburgh Council. A big sprawling metro council.

Ed is still active in that Council.

We (Me!!) are the poor relations next door in the next council.

While Pittsburgh has had a rough ride with the loss of so many steel jobs and loss of population, it remains very blue collar and very pro Scouting.

You have to watch your step as you walk around Heritage Scout Reservation, tripping over plaques that state who donated what or funding for what is a real hazard.

While many of the donations have come from big corporations which have their HQ in Pittsburgh, many are from Unions who also support Scouting and the Council.

While I have never been a part of the Council, I have heard that Mazzuca did a lot to bring more money into the Council.

Again from what I have heard, I don't really see him making any sweeping changes. But then again I'm not sure he could make them if he wanted too?

The challenges that the BSA in my opinion (For what it's worth) faces are membership and credibility. Sadly we seemed to lose a lot of credibility when some people tried to fix membership.

When I read the BSA Strategic Plan for 20062010, I didn't see any real change of direction, in fact a lot of it seemed to be the same old same old re-worded and at times I felt it was placing way to much empathize on what had happened in the past instead of a real plan for the future.

But maybe I'm guilty of being overly critical?

The plan does call for adding 1 million new volunteers.

It also calls for a new market study focusing on Hispanic/Latino Americans, African Americans,and Asian Americans that will help us understand the perceptions of the BSA in these communities. In addition, it will gain a better understanding of their needs related to programs for youth and explore authentic messaging that resonates in

each community.

This information coupled with other program-specific

research will serve as our guide in strengthening Scouting.

Over the next five years, we will also

Develop through research and best methods new concepts and playbooks for effective execution of roundup plans in every district.

Help volunteers establish a mandate and mind-set that untrained leadership meeting with young people is unacceptable.

Examine core elements of national Quality awards and establish measurements that unit leaders embrace.

Involve far more volunteer resources in marketing and selling the benefits of Cub Scouting to families through

multiple venues.

Provide a specific mission for the Order of the Arrow to help deliver a more outdoors message along with their increased support of troop and council camping programs.

Improve the effectiveness of all adult leader training.

Deliver a comprehensive set of marketing tools aimed at parents that communicate the benefits and values of Scouting.

As it is now September 2007, so far I have seen very little evidence of the plan being put into practice.

Of course I might well be suffering from the Mushroom Syndrome.

As we know change does take time in this organization.

We do seem OK with living with our past successes and maybe a little afraid that if we do change that we will somehow upset the traditions and practices that have worked and served us in the past.

I'm happy that the new Chief Scout Executive has some experience working in a area that has had it's share of problems.

Fixing the problem of the continuing decline in Cub Scout membership is not going to be an easy fix, but I'm sure is high on the list of things that need immediate attention.

Trying to make Scouting more attractive to non-white groups, in areas that have little or no experience of the BSA or Scouting could mean making a lot of changes to the program as we (Me) might know it, does run the risk of making the volunteers we have at present unhappy.

Much of the problem does lie with the make up of the National Executive Board and the groups that they represent, while they all share much the same vision and mission of the BSA, some of these groups are undergoing big changes within their own organization, while other groups have not changed and more than lightly will not change in a very long time.

I'm unsure what troutmaster means by:

"our thoughts on the program going forward, both good and not so good."?

Most adults are aware of what is going on (the program?) in the units, Districts and Councils they serve.

Most youth members see "Scouts" as what is happening (the program?) in the unit that they are in.

The average parent might know where the Council Service Center is, maybe the name of the SE, but the program is what the unit serves.

If it is good and holds the interest of their kid, they are happy and will support it, if it fails to live up to the expectations of their child, he or she will lose interest and leave.

The program is as good or as bad as we the volunteers allow it to be.

As a volunteer I would like to see the training of the professionals who serve us improved. Especially in the areas of marketing. Making local efforts tie in with National and Regional efforts. Fund Raising. Each and every Council should have a professional who is knowledgeable about grant writing and working with foundations who are willing to support the efforts of the Council.

One of my pet peeves is the numbers game we play with LFL.

I'll admit that I have never taken the time to learn very much about it, but if it's supposed to be separate let it be separate!! Let it stand on it's own and not use funds and resources that have been donated by people who think they are supporting the traditional programs.

Maybe in other Councils it really does do some good? Sadly in the Council I'm in, I don't see what real good it does and is a drain on the finances of the Council.

Of course being as the membership of the Council is made up with half the membership being enrolled in LFL, I really don't see us ever admitting that this is an in school program, where nearly all of the youth have no idea that they belong to the BSA.

Still an organization with a budget of over $1.3 million a year serving 10,000 youth looks far better on paper than one that serves less than 5,000.

Strange how when I look at the LFL site I see no mention of the BSA, but the BSA seems very proud of the 1,750,767 youth participants in "Learning for Life is a corporation affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America that offers career and character education programs"

OK!! So much for my pet peeve.

Ea.

(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

I know Mazzuca personally from my days as a scouting professional, he was my first SE in fact. Bob is a real company man so don't go looking for him to be making any sweeping changes in the program. This is his final reward for 36 years of service and then he will retire achieving the highest office in his profession. I wish him well. Just don't expect anything different from the status quo.