Responsiblities of the District Executive

I'm sure this has been hashed out before, but humor this "inexperienced" Scouter a little bit.

What are the resposibilities of the District Executive?

We have a new DE in our district and I have no idea what he does. He does show up for District Roundtable and talk about popcorn, talk about membership numbers, recruiting, "signing the boys" up, but that's all I know about him.

I'm sure there are some folks that can give you line-by-line description from the book. In short, the DE is responsible for making sure scouting is successful in his/her district. This includes working with the district committee members to make sure they are getting their job done, working with unit leaders when they have issues, occasionally touching base with Charter Organizations to make sure things are going well and yes - raising money for scouting in their district.

In general I've found that if I don't see our DE, things are going well. If I see him a lot (other than normal district functions), then things are probably in trouble. That's because he's mainly focused on keeping the bottom 20% of units afloat, and starting new units on top of that. If my unit is running well, he's good to leave me alone.

The DE is one of the "Key 3" in your District, along with the District Chairman, and District Commissioner. The DE's job is to primarily help recruit and mentor the members of the District Committee (finance, training, membership, camping, program, advancement, etc). This District Committee is, in turn, responsible for delivering the program within the district. The DE's other function is to visit prospective CO's and "sell" the scouting program to them, thus forming new units. Some DE's are VERY busy, because they have to fill in where the volunteers fall short (or if there are no volunteers for a particular function). The DE's job performance evaluation (and continued employment and raises) depend on how well the District meets its goals toward "Quality District". Most of the goals are geared toward more members, more units, and more money (FOS and popcorn).

Jeffrey,

Greetings!

EagleinKY and Scoutldr gave you some great straight answers. It sounds like your DE is doing the basic job, whether it is dramatic or subtle, only time will tell.

So like Eagle said, I will follow up with some line by line resources out there. I've commonly heard "four functions of a district", but read below for some items I quoted.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

This is directly from Scouting.org.

What do professionals in Scouting do every day? The responsibilities are as broad as the tasks are varied and no two days are the same for a typical Scouting district executive. No matter where they work, in the city, the suburbs or the countryside, one thing is for certainthis is anything but a "cubicle" job. The job of the professional Scouter is to inspire, recruit, train, and support the BSA's adult volunteer's. In addition, they work with community leaders to rally public support for Scouting.

I have heard that DE's should professional guide the District Committee in concentrating on the four functions of a district. Which they learn in their Professional Development Courses. The definitions of these four functions differ on a few webpages. Here is just one quote, These four functions are from a council's webpage.

Membership Function

The membership function strives for growth through the organization of new Scouting units, and growth through new members joining existing units.

Finance Function

The finance function sees that the district provides its share of funds to the total council operating budget.

Program Function

The program function concentrates on helping Scouting units with: Camp promotion, Training, Activities and civic service, Advancement and recognition

Unit Service Function

The unit service function provides direct coaching and consultation by district volunteers for unit adults to help ensure the success of every Scouting unit

This is from another Council's webpage.

The professional Scouter in an entry-level position is assigned to a district or service area within a local council. The job responsibilities are broad and varied. Duties include promoting, supervising, and working in the district or service area through volunteers. Different aspects of the professional Scouter's job include:

Sales. The professional Scouter is responsible, through volunteers, for extending Scouting to religious, civic, fraternal, educational, or other community-based organizations.

Service. Major emphasis is placed on service. The professional staff ensures that all Scouting units are served through volunteer commissioners, regular roundtable meetings, training events, and activities.

Finance. The professional Scouter has responsibility for securing adequate financial support for Scouting in the assigned area. Working with volunteers, professionals recruit leadership for the Friends of Scouting and finance campaign efforts to meet the financial needs of the council.

Administration. The professional Scouter administers the Scouting program in the assigned district or service area.

Public Relations. Professional Scouters must recognize the importance of good working relationships with other professionals and with volunteers. Scouting depends on community support and acceptance. Professional leaders must have good communication skills and be able to tell Scouting's story to the public.

The primary resonsibilities of the District Executive are the 3M's. Membership, Manpower, & MONEY. Program which begins with P is not one of these. Some of the biggest flops as DE's that I have seen have been people with extensive Scouting backgrounds who think that Program is their job. The position of DE is basically a sales position. They sell Scouting to prospective youth members, prospective adult volunteers, and potential donors.

Having said that, I have heard a saying from some professionals that goes something like "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. What the volunteers won't do, the professional must." In other words, whatever they can't get someone else to do comes crashing back in their in-box. On top of this they have "other duties as assigned".

The position of DE is a tough job. I was recruited by a Scout Exec. a number of years ago and declined the opportunity. I told him that as long as I was a volunteer, he worked for me. If I became a professional I would work for him and I liked things the way they were.

I am one of those with Scouting experience that says that Program is vital/essential for the success of any District.

The District Leaders (not the DE) need to ensure that quality Program happens.

The District Leaders make sure that those that lead are recognized.

The District Leaders make sure that motivated leaders are chosen.

The District Leaders make sure that those leaders are trained on how to run their event.

The District Leaders make sure that leaders know about the funding.

The District Leaders make sure that there is plenty of help.

The District Leaders make sure that those that lead know the resources available.

The District Leaders make sure that an evaluation and a written report are completed to help future event leaders.

By the end of each event, a new leader and a core group is identified by the outgoing event Leader.

The District Executive contacts the event leaders and gives emotional support and/or advice.

This means that the DE gets to know the Money people.

Great events do wonders for recruitment.

District Leaders help with recruitment.

Excited Scouts help with recruitment.

FB

Thanks for the responses. Our DE is nice, energetic fellow but seems a little frazzled at times. I suspect he has a tough job and would require someone who really enjoys Scouting to stay with it for an extended period of time. I also suspect it's hard for a professional to motivate a bunch of veteran Scouters who already "know everything that needs to be known."

Is it reasonable to expect a DE to show up for District Meetings in full uniform? Our DE never wears a full uniform, just a uniform shirt. I would think a professional would need to set an example regarding the uniform.

Our DE sometimes wears the uniform and sometimes wears a scout-related shirt (but not the uniform shirt). In the latter case he often is wearing pants or jeans, not scout pants. But yes, I agree, a DE of all people should either be in uniform or not be, but shouldn't be taking the half/half approach.

Still...if he is otherwise doing a good job then this is not something I'd make a huge stink over.

Lisa'bob

Jeff,

Greetings again!

WOW..

I've never seen a DE, with just a uniform shirt. I've met alot of DE's, and been to quiet a few different types of meetings with DE's and professionals.

I've never seen a DE wearing only half the uniform. Either full uniform or semiformal/casual dress. Even jeans and a council polo shirt. Especially when the meeting attendees know what the attire is. (It doesn't hurt my feelings if they are in jeans and a t-shirt even, but I personally don't like half uniformed)

Usually the District Commissioner and District Chairman are also semiformal when they have consulted with the DE before District meetings.

Maybe once in a while in a rush I can understand half a uniform. But you said your DE never wears a complete uniform. Ouch!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all just thought I'd chime in here My wife is also my DE

and she would never dream of a half uniform and most of what she does is behind the scenes but she still puts in 60-70 hrs a week (not including late night phone calls)and we go to ever distict event. The life of a DE is not easy but She loves it.

I told my wife about this post and she said that her District Scouters would never hesitate to call her superiors to let them know that she was out of uniform. Many volunteers (even those who wear half uniform) would find it almost offensive that the DE was showing up at functions in only half of a uniform not to mention to District meetings. The only District Meeting that allows for a professional or any volunteer to be out of uniform is the District Committee meeting because non-scouters can be present on DC. Even then, she is careful to dress in professional attire.

She also said that it depends on the Council that this DE works for. in our Council they are very stringent about how you look, what your uniform looks like, if you uniform falls with in the insinia guide, etc etc. Outward perception is everything and pride in the uniform and the organization that you work for is most important.