I'm off on a little sojourn and would love to meet any forum member in person. From Saturday afternoon to Monday morning, I'll be in Philadelphia taking in the historical sights -- and most importantly to me, the new Constitution Museum.

If you'd like to reach me I'll be at the Royal Crown Central City hotel in downtown Philadelphia from Saturday late afternoon to monday morning. I signed up for one of those last minute deals and got a great price.

If no one calls, fine. If someone wants to meet, fine as well. I'm going while my wife hikes the A.T. and have no plans other than to hit the Constitutional Museum and see Independence Hall.

Just give your username if you get my hotel voice mail. And you probably will. I'm a social kind of guy and will probably be out seeing the sights.

And just so no one mis-understands -- just because I'll be travelling by myself and staying in a very nice hotel, I'm not looking for a room-mate. :) But if someone wants to talk and give a face to a username . . . i'm all for it. Just stay out of my room. :)

DS

(This message has been edited by dsteele)

Sorry --

I wasn't looking at my confirmation and got the hotel name wrong. I'll be at the Crowne Plaza Philadelphia Center-City on Market Street. Not far from the locaiton of the BSA National Meeting. Across the street, in fact.

DS

Well, I'll be relatively close to you on Sunday: About a half-hour to the north, in Bucks County, PA, dropping my son off at Camp Ockanickon for his first-ever week of Scout camp. (Actually his first camping experience without me. We all have our fingers crossed, but others have lived through it, so he will too.) I have read the literature for this camp and the difference between Scout camps now and when I was a Scout in the late 60s/early 70s is truly amazing. They have Atomic Energy merit bade at camp, for crying out loud. They have a whole science center. However, my son is still working on Tenderfoot, so it has been made clear to him that he will be spending his time working on the T/2nd/1st class requirements, with 1 or 2 of the "easier" merit badges (basketry, leatherwork, etc.) thrown in.

Anyway, I'm noticing that in the 4 or 5 months since I last posted in this forum, my account name has become inaccurate. But if I make a new account (NJScouter?) I'll go back to being a "New Forum Member." What to do, what to do...

Anyway, welcome to the greater Mid-Atlantic metropolitan area.

Too busy this weekend with Scouting stuff! I'm about a half hour south of Philly, but I'll be tied up all weekend. Make sure you have a hoagie or a cheesesteak and a Tastykake or two!

Enjoy your visit

I enjoyed the visit. The hotel was wonderful. However, I do have to admit I was saddened to see high security surrounding Independance Hall. You can't walk up to the place and touch the brick like I did in August of 2001. There are armed men there who will shoot you if you don't have a ticket.

Very sad. Makes me even more angry with the terrorists.

DS

I'm glad you had a nice visit. Wow, I had not realized that security had become so tight. That's a shame. It's not the way I remember it--walking freely through the historical section, keeping eyes open for Benjamin Franklin. It was always fun to spot him on the street :) I've been to the city recently, but only council headquarters, so I haven't seen the changes...yet...that you mention. How sad.