Which type of District would you rather be involved with:

A District with a good DE who is involved in the District (actually lives in the District and has sons in Scout units) and does a good job but has, IMHO, very poor leadership on the volunteer side or a District that is the opposite, a DE who is only concerned with numbers and not very involved but has very good volunteer leadership?

Over the weekend, I was on staff for Basic Outdoor Leaders Skills/SM training. This was my first time as a staff member.

At this, I met some great Scouters who I learned a lot from.

Two of the Scouters I worked closely with were Unit Commissioners from another District. During the weekend, I was asked by these two if I knew my Unit Commissioner, I said that I did not.

I contacted my DC and asked him who the Unit Commissioner was for my unit.

His reply was I dont know. (I thought he was the person who should know.)

We also discussed DEs.

Our Districts current DE used to be the DE for these two Unit Commissioners district and they thought he did a good job but did not think their current DE was doing a good job.

Which type of District would you rather be in?

Between your two options, I would much prefer a District with a strong volunteer group - a large, dedicated group of scouters can easily get more accomplished than a single DE could ever hope to. It is easy to ignore a poor DE when you have a large pool of scouters looking out for district-wide programs and opportunities.

I agree with Semper Paratus. A DE can only do so much for your unit, and usually only when there's serious trouble. The volunteers can do it all (after all, that's how Scouting started in most communities).